Amtrak train derails in Washington state

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by Getsinyourblood, Dec 18, 2017.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    80 is standard freight and passenger speed (Actually 79, but who cares) in my area, there is a dual track main which is well maintained and supported that kind of speed.

There are signals that regulate speed as well as setting up train protection in a specific two or three block manner so no worries there.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Harmonic is a problem at about 25 or so give or take a few. It actually takes the form of "Hunting" as the trucks under the freight car starts hunting back and forth. When you go below that speed or above it, the trains settles down.

Another problem is known as string lining. If you have some weight strung out in a curve and added too much horsepower, the whole thing flops to the inside of the curve.

Passenger cars are usually with good trucks made for high speed travel with a number of anti sway appliances on them even a bit of airride if you are lucky. Im leaning towards someone either screwed up or someone allowed that route to inaugurate without adequate oversight or even a kid putting something on the track.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I got the impression it was a "new route" over an older long-abandoned rail line. I'm sure a lot of work was done to bring back up to spec but maybe not enough.

May have simply been a misunderstanding of section speed limit by the system or the driver.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I love the part about it being billed as a "shorter, more reliable route"...only to derail on the first trip.

x1Heavy and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    That Pacific rail line had undergone renovation and Allegedly had inspections done by the Washington Department of Transportation this year and cleared.... Guess we'll soon find out what Actually caused That derailment

7. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Just showed an overhead shot of the train. 4 cars off on the road, 2 flipped over onto the bridge concrete barrier guard and I think one on the opposite side of the guard barrier with the one hanging over the barrier guard in front of it.

Getsinyourblood and stayinback Thank this.
  8. NavigatorWife

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Traffic is being diverted onto 510. They say pay attention to any directions given. Joint Base Lewis-McChord is coordinating the route I guess.

But truckers I would be careful before going off anywhere unknown.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    People experierienced in this sort of thing are guessing it was over speed around a 30 mph curb.

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If the driver was speeding over limit then they will come down on him like a ton of bricks.

No different than that pot smoking engineer from Conrail with just three engines running three red signals to get into the way of a amtrack passenger train roughly the 1986 time period on the NE corridor in Maryland.

11. NavigatorWife

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    The above report from WRAL said it was going 81.1 mph. The speed was supposed to be for 79 mph on the bridge.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.