An Honest Review of Werner

Discussion in 'Werner' started by wanttotruck, Oct 7, 2015.

1. wanttotruck

wanttotruck Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2014
    DFW
    I was on a lot of different accounts, but I spent most of my time with the WalMart and netops accounts.
    Budweiser lasted a month or two due to the massive amount of trouble I had with the lightweight truck and legal weights.

I saw the writing on the wall before I ever started with the company, but I knew I had to get some experience before I could move to greener pastures.

Werner is not a company that will turn into a career, but for the most part they treated me fairly. I think a student could do much worse than Werner for a first company. That was the reason that I made my post. I had plenty of small issues and grievances with Werner, but I didn't feel they were relevant, I have a feeling that is the kind of stuff that goes on with every company in the industry.

I'm currently awaiting orientation for a flatbed company that I have heard great things about. Hopefully all goes well.

truckthatpassesyouby Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bamamac

bamamac Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Alabaster,Alabama
    My stepson drives for Werner on the target dedicated and seems pretty happy with it. He said orientation at Werner was terrible, and he thought he had made a terrible mistake going with Werner.,but once he got out of orientation and got with a trainer he was ok with it. He got lucky and got a good trainer, and is happy with the acct. he is on. But like you he says he will not stay at Werner for very long, just get his experience in and move on.

4. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I was about to go with Werner..thanks for your informative post. Might just start my first year off with Swift. They seem to handle things better than Werner who gave me the run around on the phone not really telling me anything.

5. BostonTanker

BostonTanker Road Train Member

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    I've been with them 4 months. It's ok. I'm on Dollar Tree. My major gripe is it's hard to get my truck repaired. The northeast has 2 week wait times at dealers. I cannot sit out of work for 2 weeks. They should have a few spare trucks for instances like this.
    I'm not making what I was told I should make.
    The loads are hit or miss, with a lot of 4-5 stop stores. That makes for a long day.
    I've only had 2 1000 + dollar weeks.
    I don't go home every weekend. They have given me a few excellent runs for the weekend.
    Real simple efficient stores on those runs as well. The inner city stores absolutely blow. No one will do anything about the lack of efficiency at the inner city stores so I try to stay away from them.
    I'm riding it out for now. I have a plan. But dollar general is advertising for close to the same yearly amt as dollar tree now, so I may be looking into that.
    Sad fact.....
    I need to be running for $1000 or better gross weekly. I can make that in Boston driving a trash truck or gravel hauler and be home nightly and have weekends off. I'm hoping I get in the good graces of load planner and fleet Mgr so I can. Hoping.

6. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Dollar whatever is not my idea of trucking. I feel bad you've put up with it for so long. You need to grow some brass and speak up to your company and tell them you want out of dollar whatever and you need to begin winning some real bread. Tell them there's a baby on the way and you need to be running like crazy for the next 9 months. You know you sleep behind those dollar stores because you run out of time too. ...sigh.

BostonTanker Thanks this.
  7. BostonTanker

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    I actually enjoy physical labor.
    Way I see it is I haven't tore up their equipment, have a 99.9% on time or early rate, efficiently unload freight.
    When the pre assign loads correctly, they have me moving and making $$. I know freight is weird, but you gotta think with Xmas around the corner, well.... I should be moving. I can unload 41k lbs in 6-8 hrs if the stores do their jobs. Unfortunately, most cannot. Shippers and consignees can service fail us. We should be able to do the same to slow stores.

8. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Mega fleets will not have only 1 type of truck. They purchase many, due to recalls and whatnot. Maybe this year they're buying Petes, but next year it'll be KW

9. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I don't know how you do it. Lifting and moving AND driving a truck long distances. I'd be burnt out for sure. Why I'd never take a dollar account. Whenever I do any sort of manual labor and don't get food, I suffer bad headaches which would be risky driving with.

10. BostonTanker

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    I only do 900-1500 milesa week

11. BostonTanker

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Key is to know your body. At my last stop, even with driving hours available i usually shut down. I will not risk driving and crashing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.