And the journey begins.

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by RfCummins, Nov 3, 2017.

1. RfCummins

RfCummins Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2017
    So after owning my 05 Ram 3/4ton for 2 years I want to start putting it to work. I have a 2014 Gatormade with the 10 ton axles, Air ride, 30ft. goosenck. Like alot of other posts I see im confused on what i am able to pull with my truck. My door states that the GCWR is 20k. Does it change when I put the Gooseneck hitch on? The Trailers GVWR is 24k. My rear axle GVWR is 9k. Does that mean that if the Rear axle on my truck is over 9k i am legally over weight? And Lets say my truck weight is 7k and the trailer weight is 5k then i only have 12k to load?
    Any help or info you could offer would really help. Thank you in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ACAJOE

ACAJOE Light Load Member

May 24, 2013
    Yep. That's it. Now, for those with bigger axles, the dot knows exactly what our limits are from miles away.

For you, they may have to look at axle tags to ding you. Make sure to register for all of the gvwr. Plus some...

4. Slay

Slay Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2015
    GVWR of the truck not the GCWR is what is important to the DOT. I just did a google for an 05 Dodge 2500 and it was just under 9,000 lbs for the GVWR. The GVWR 20,000 lb trailer should weigh in the 6 - 7,000 area if not a little heavier. So let us do some math:
    truck GVWR 9,000 lbs
    trailer GVWR 20,000 lbs
    total GCWR 29,000 lbs
    Combined weight of 14,000 (truck weight 7,000 plus trailer weight 7,000) this is not heavy enough for the real world weight but you will see how to work it
    29,000 - 14,000 equals a pay load of 15,000 lbs.

If you can distribute the weight so that each rating on the axles and the tire ratings are not exceeded.

The truck and trailer combination will require logs, IFTA, MC #, DOT # and a medical card, crossing the scales and everything else as if you were an 18 wheeler.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.