And then there were 3

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by snowwy, Apr 29, 2018.

1. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I'e Had sprint for over 20 years. Sometimes I get pissed at them. But when I decide to check put the others. Thier price and plan are same at best, but usually more expensive.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I was a long time Sprint user,.. going back to the Nextel days before Sprint bought them out. Before that I was on Cingular (Roll over minutes).

So I understand the hesitation to switch mobile carriers based on cost. But as an O/O my business depends on having mobile service where ever I am. And I go EVERYWHERE. So I needed a mobile carrier with the largest service and coverage area,.. period.

So with 6 months left on my Sprint contract I pulled the plug and bought cheap Verizon package with a free phone to see how they were. Side by side personal comparison. I was so tired of the dead areas and dropped calls with Sprint. Not having enough data bandwidth to hotspot Netflix even though I paid extra to have that service.

Even with a cheap phone Verizon worked almost everywhere. It really blew me away.

Yes I pay more for Verizon. Not happy about that. But this is what I need. Its a business expense,.. nothing more.

If you only travel in metro areas then Sprint will probably work out well for you. If you travel to Timbuktu like I do,.. then you need a carrier like Verizon. There is no other carrier that has the coverage area that Verizon has.

Hurst

4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Hmmmh good post. If sprint didn't work for you, but Verizon does. Then switching (Even if it' more expensive) just plain old makes good sense. For me I've been with sprint since 1994, I remember the days of $500 per month bills. I remember losing service 50-100 miles out of a major area. I remember having no service in parts of Nebraska, Colorado, the Dakota's, and other areas. But now in 2018 my bill is right around $200 per month for THREE phones and a tablet. I don' have service problems, or dropped call problems. I watch Hulu for free as part of my sprint plan, my son has Netflix so I watch that on his plan (free for me) my wife has Amazon prime so I watch Amazon tv (again free for me). I dont have problems logging into he internet anywhere in America. Talk about the middle of no where? My company finds shipments going to and coming places most people don' even realize exists. Cell towers on top of mountains, govt facilities in caves, caverns underground (No my phone does not work inside them) But doesn't matter they take all electronics away from you before you enter. Anyway sprint works for me just fine, and like I said. When I do get pissed at them, and think about leaving. Att, Verizon, T-Mobile, plans are same at best, but usually more costly. Service wise the others may be busy. But I can't tell cause I have service everywhere I need it.

5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

If Sprint works how and where you need for your coverage,.. then stay with them. It would not make sense for you to switch to someone else.

They dont have the coverage area that I need for what I do. That is why I switched. No other reason.

Hurst

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    How do you know. You haven't tried them since the nextel days. :)

EVERYBODY has improved on their coverage since the nextel days.

I remember parts of wyoming that verizon didn't work with my note2. But then I got my s6 and i had coverage.

I tried att with the cheap hotspot and plan for 9 months. $20 a month was worth testing the waters. And now I'm with att. There's coverage that didn't exist in the nextel days. With all 3 carriers. I went with att cuz they reach where S and V don't.

I know a spot i visit every day. V and S are roaming signals. The phone works but it's not a 4g signal. No internet. I get the triangle for signal. It's not a place to be parking for a 10 so it wouldn't really matter. I know a town where S and V can't get above 20 mbps downloads. My note9 on att clocks in at 175. Where as my att hotspot clocked 100 and the cheap phone i had was 30.

I can't for the likes of me though, figure out how that little town has much better speed then the population zone.

Listening to the commercials these days. I don't think it really matters anymore. Costwise.

My note9 does better then my hotspot which does better then my older phones. But I"m with att now. I would assume the note9 will also do better on S and V. As it has the capability of downloading up to 1.2 Gbps. Compared to my hotspot which was 1.0 Gbps compared to phones of yesteryear which was 400 mbps and ever lower.

These days aren't the nextel days. Those days are long gone.
    Things change. And to notice. The equipment has to change too.

Now I"m not out to start another argument. But seriously. Times have changed. The argument needs to change also. To keep comparing what things were like in the dark ages is ridiculous. :)

BTW. I had #### good sprint coverage when the internet was first coming around on cell phones. On the East coast. Back in 2000. But on the west coast. EVERYBODY sucked.

How do you like your note 9? I can't stand em getting bigger and bigger.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I've been with sprint most my life too. Switched to V when i went OTR. Came back to S when i came home.
    Thing that upset me. Was they no longer had talk and surf at the same time. Stupidest thing they could have done. I noticed they was bringing it back out on the OS upgrade from 7 to 8 on my s8.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is a ZTE phone sitting on my table. Made in China. And unfortunately by a company that has been predatory.

The biggest weakness in China is that they reverse engineer what they can, essentially copying whatever suits them. They don't gain the R&D knowledge very well and have to relearn it all over again on the next goodie.

I have a hobby involving trains at home and have learned that China's production of these items has pretty much dried up completely. Probably as part of the embargo and tarriffs etc. Whatever is on the water or already unloaded on the west coast will be all there is for about one to three years to come. Then there will be no more. Hobby stuff is a very small part of our overall economy, but some of these computer powered models run about 1000 to 1500 on up due to the technology and skill that went into making them, combined with the tarriff penalty and exchange rate against the Yaun which is not in our favor right now. Economic warfare is very difficult. And is painfully apparent when the orders made prior to shipment are canceled after the factories over there has locked up and went home. There is no more.

9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

I had Sprint SINCE before Nextel days,.. I didnt have Verizon back then. I didnt need Verizon back then. I was working in construction. And I stayed with Sprint up until 2016. Contract was officially up in April of 2016. Sprint has not magically grown exponentially since 2016 to now. Sorry,.. but no,.. no they are not. I've had Verizon since 2015. And yes,.. they are better. Much much better.

So I know how they are. I can look at 3rd party coverage maps that logs actual users and their signals and coverage areas. Verizon has 4 - 5 times the coverage of everyone else. There is no comparison,.. period. Verizon has the most LTE and 5G licenses. More than anyone else. They have the most up to date network.

For someone that truly goes over the road,.. not someone that just rides the west coast or a few select places there bouts. There is no one that can compete with Verizons coverage area. Period. No one.

Its not about the money for me,.. its about service coverage and having it when and where I need it.

You keep saying Sprint has changed,.. every time you post how much better they are. Yet when I look at coverage maps,.. no sir. They are not. Sprint and T-Mobile combined still cant even cover 25% of what Verizon has. Verizon still dominates the air waves.

The US Govt and Military chose Verizon for a reason.

Hurst

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.