And they wonder why we have ELDs now...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JReding, Jan 20, 2019.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I’ll preface this by saying that personally, I have no issue with using the ELDs, I’d rather use them than paper logs, admittedly being lazy in certain areas myself (I hate paperwork).

I’ve been meaning to tell this story here, it happened about two weeks ago now.

I had to put my truck in for an alignment at Peterbilt, which would be several hours since they were booked up. Long story short, I had to shuffle between trucks for the day until I got mine back that afternoon. My company called Uber for me when my truck was finished, and the driver showed up. We got to talking, and it turned out he was on his 3rd day driving for Uber. His normal job was as a driver hauling loads down to SoCal and back Monday-Friday.

We got to discussing where I would be going next, which would be close given allowable driving time and the distance I had to cover with an appointment on the other end. His solution? “Oh, it’s easy! Just unplug the ELD and keep going...” Yes, that is a direct quote, I am not kidding. I looked him in his mirror deadpanned and said, “No, I don’t run illegal.” Him: “Oh. How long have you been driving?” Me: “Twenty-six years.”

Did I mention how long he’s been driving? Five months.

I’m assuming he didn’t come up with this on his own. Best guess is he works for (worked for, if he’s been pulled over or wrecked since then) some little podunk outfit with a few trucks held together by duct tape and baling wire where they gave him that brilliant solution, so they could run him to death, then when something happened, they would plead shock and innocence.

I wonder when the next even tighter batch of regulations will be introduced, and what they’ll be...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Lepton1, Tb0n3, x1Heavy and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    He can do that but when he plugs the eld back in and it wakes up in a different location with different mileage than the truck ecm says he will be getting a big old message that not even his boss can edit out.
    Let alone get an inspection showing his previous seven days with that message.
    How some people believe that the eld rules and equipment are that easy to defeat is certainly beyond me.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    He’s never driven a truck in his life. He aspires to some day but for now he operates off of some of the folklore and urban legends he reads in various trucker forums, and lives vicariously through these forums

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Maybe from December 2019, but right now with Aobrd you can edit anything you desire

Hulld and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Just use PC time... I dont get paid deadhead miles so it's completely arguable... obviously you cant use PC time while you have a load unless it's to find a safe haven... and the way these trucks park on I81 in VA a safe haven could be 200 miles...

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    We had a 20 minute conversation during the ride. Unfortunately, he’s legit.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Plus, he’s well beyond his 70 working two jobs since both count on HOS. At least he’s getting his side hustle on, or doors are opening (jail cells).

9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Yes
    But I was talking about an ELD not an AOBRD.

Lepton1 and brian991219 Thank this.
  10. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Even ELD can be edited. That’s a fact.

But the process is more demanding from a legal standpoint. And wouldn’t be practical for an O/O or small outfit that doesn’t have the necessary staff and money.

I’m in year 2 of ELD. I’m not sure what 2020 will bring. Other than complete chaos for O/O and small outfits that can’t edit.

These #### things do go down occasionally. And the only way I know to cover your ###, is to be running paper at the same time.

Cell signal and location services play a huge factor with ELD.

snowman_w900 and rank Thank this.
  11. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I had a guy from a very reputable car hauling outfit tell me once that they unplug their units all the time when they run out of hours on their way home (this was before the pc rules changed). He acted like they were all so clever for doing this trick lol.

So it’s not just the shady duct taped together truck types that are doing this.

SteerTire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.