Andrew's Trucking Journey Continues

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by atruckr, Oct 14, 2022.

1. atruckr

atruckr Road Train Member

May 14, 2011
    Victorville CA
    Yep 395 all the way up. Except this time the Mammoth lakes area had chain law in affect . So I went around route 6 to us95 to the I 80. Ashley pays us the extra miles to go around if there is a weather or traffic issue.

No, I'm on the PTP side so I'm a no touch frieght driver. LTL guys do all the heavy lifting.. lol

Stonehjl and Bumper Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. atruckr

May 14, 2011
    Victorville CA
    I was assigned a load to Colorado this week. Right from the get go I checked the weather and saw lots of snow coming. Isn't that gonna be fun ..:biggrin_25521:

If there is snow in the mountains, we usually go around. Meaning.. I40 to I25 and on up into Denver area, (Drop is in Henderson) instead of going I70.

Well this time it looks like I got trapped up here. Yesterday, I was about 180 miles from delivery. It was foggy and around 35 degrees when I started. By the time I got to Henderson it was 7 degrees.

It was snowing but not to bad. I made it! Deliverd the drop, grabbed an MT and started back. It was snowing but roads were decent.

Got to Colorado Springs and took a break. It really started snowing then and the roads turned to crap quickly. Being empty, I'm not running on slick roads so decided to wait it out.

Well I guess I-40 in AZ is getting hammered, almost the entire state is closed in the I-40 area.

So I-70 west is a mess and I 40 west is a mess.

Might have to take I-25 to I-10 and go back to Redlands that way. So basically I'm spending the entire week going to Denver and back. Not complaining, it just that it usually only takes 3 and half days not 5 or 6. :biggrin_25523:

Crazy weather lately. Not to mention multiple blow overs down in Southern California and Arizona.

Keep on keeping on!
    Stay safe out there!

4. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    What does PTP stand for? I didn't see that position on their website.

atruckr Thanks this.
  5. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    r they really gonna pay for the extra miles fom denver to socal via I-25 to I-10? Sounds generous.

atruckr Thanks this.
  6. atruckr

May 14, 2011
    Victorville CA
    Yeah I wasn't sure either. But I called in and they approved it.

Northern AZ still has shut downs and there is more snow on the way, so might as well take the safest route.

I see it as, Ashley taking care of their drivers. I wouldn't even suggest it if it wasn't a major concern.

Another driver just called in he is doing the same thing.

The Railsplitter Thanks this.
  7. atruckr

May 14, 2011
    Victorville CA
    That is Point To Point. That's what I do. I don't know yet how they are setting things up with the new OTR Wilson side of things, but previously Ashley just had us as their OTR guys.

We strictly service Ashley's dropyards and some of the stores. Plus we do backhauls from drops to our DC.

So I need to find out the difference myself.

8. The Railsplitter

The Railsplitter Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    There has been some crazy weather in AZ and NM lately... high winds, plus snow & ice at elevation. I know other areas of the country are getting hammered by weather, but that doesn't make the affected AZ & NM areas any less dangerous. :confused:

Maybe that outfit figures it's cheaper to send ya the long way rather than see the truck in a ditch, the freight and delivery schedule all messed up, etc. No reflection upon your driving skills, it's just bad winter weather... o_O

atruckr Thanks this.
  9. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Someone in another thread mentioned it snowing in riverside on I10.

atruckr and Bumper Thank this.
  10. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    They had a 20 vehicle pileup yesterday evening near Beaumont California, because of some light snow and ice

atruckr and Bumper Thank this.
  11. atruckr

May 14, 2011
    Victorville CA
    True it's a win win all around if you can go a safer route. Plus it probably going to be more productive in some cases.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.