Annoyed! Left turn signal keeps blowing fuse

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by irishluck09, May 3, 2023.

1. irishluck09

irishluck09 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    1998 W900 with n14

So ive been chasing a ghost, as it always starts.
    Left signal pops fuse. Right turn signal works fine.

Found two wire breaks that was located up by the front turn signal, didnt fix it. Changed rear lights out and redid wiring, no fix.
    Checked steering column switch and seems that there isnt anything wrong with it. The relay is new and working.

So at this piont im realizing that it has to be a broke wire or pinched wire somewhere in the 30 some odd feet of wiring on the truck for the turn signals.

I think I found a diagram and I want to show it to you guys to see if im marking the proper wire to re-run on my truck.

I have used a blue pin to show the wire that I do believe i need to replace.

Thought and suggestions?

wire harness.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hurricanejr

hurricanejr Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2008
    west point ms
    multi function turn signal switch

4. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    "Left signal pops", what happens with the flashers on? Did you check the trailer connector? "The column switch seems ok." Disconnect the switch from the harness, use a jumper wire for hot and ground if necessary and then operate the left turn signal and see what happens at the output for the left signal. "So at this piont im realizing that it has to be a broke wire or pinched wire somewhere..." Why could it not possibly be the switch?
    Are you sure that the harness runs direct from the front or rear lights to the switch? I know it looks that way in the diagram posted. On newer KW or Pete tractors there are 3 harnesses connected together from the headlights to the chassis node, at least 2 harnesses from the rear/tail lights. You don't have a node but my point is that there are likely harnesses connected and they can be separated to try to isolate the problem.

5. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    I would check the up front near the hood hinge. After opening and closing the hood for 24 years, it's just like bending a wire back an forth with your hands. I've seen it before a perfect place to chase a gremlin.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  6. irishluck09

Nov 24, 2019

Using the flashers also blows the fuse. Trailer isnt connected when this first started happening. But it happens whether the trailer in connected or not.

I can sit in my driveway in my truck and 90% of the time both turn signals will work.
    Start driving, truck starts bouncing from the road, and when I try to use the left turn signal it pops the fuse. ive torn apart the dash and wiggled wires all over just to see if there was a short in the dash while the left signal was on and it would never pop.

I have no idea exactly what the wire diagram is for my truck. I just found it online but the colors seem to match up to the wires that are behind the dash from the turn signal switch, and to the flasher relay as well.

7. irishluck09

Nov 24, 2019
    Yeah thats the first thing I checked. Did find 2 wires that were almost broke and looked to be the possible suspect but they wernt. I fixed them and the fuse still pops. Checked the pivot pionts as well to see if there was a possibility of pinching but everything seems to clear.

8. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    I had a issue one time with trailer cord causing that . It took awhile to figure it out . Corrosion caused power to jump .

haycarter Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just a few random thoughts to help.

does it blow a fuse when you applied the brakes?

do you have any added lights like a turn signal light on the mirror?

is there a plug for the harness going to the hood?

if so have you disconnected it and see if there is a short?

have you removed the bulb in the front turn signal unit?

10. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    ^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^
    Unplug the Trailer Cord & see if It still does It..!! & also check the Female Plug on the Truck..

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  11. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I had an LED bulb short out. Never thought it could happen, but it did. Water got in it and the corrosion created a bridge.

Magoo1968 and JB7 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.