annual inspection

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rall01, Feb 29, 2020.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    That intrastate vehicle can move all of that interstate freight he wants. The problem for him in Tx would be that as soon as he is moving interstate freight, he has to go off of the more liberal Texas HOS and start logging federal HOS. And has to stay on federal until he gets a reset.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I'v always made out a BOL stating what I did with the load. If the DOT asked for a BOL that's what they got.
    They don't care as long as they got a BL
    No fuss no muss. And everything matched.
    Any other problems are the companies problem to sort out.

I picked up steel at the docks in Joisey going to T,O, The bill they gave you was the manifest for the whole boat load.and all the trucks got the same 1.
    How does that work when the steel originated in Luxemborg and destined for CAN. but sold to a US company.
    Going by the information in this thread I guess a foreign trucking company could del point to point as long as it's international freight. No that's not legal.
    Don't give the DOT anymore information than they need and they only need to know what ''you'' are actually doing.

I ''think'' you are complicating an issue where there is no need to.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Thats a given. Its also not the topic. The topic was the yearly inspection. If Texas intrastate dont require it (something I doubt) and the Truck does not have one. They can't legally move interstate freight.

5. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    At the end of the day, the FMCSA has stated in CLEAR language what makes a load interstate. It's what the shipper's intent is. It's also not a bit complicated. I suspect to be honest that most all trucks used in intrastate commerce can also haul interstate and at some point, most will at times. At its heart, it comes down to permits and registrations. A CMV can be fully legal to haul interstate commerce in Texas, but that same truck can't operate in say Arkansas unless there is some interstate compact between Texas and Arkansas where they recognize each others "legals". This is why the two most important items in a truck is their "single state" and IFTA permits. As I said in my last post, I doubt that the truck is running without an inspection. I am ignorant of the Texas intrastate laws. If however, I am wrong and Texas does allow this. That same truck can NOT haul interstate commerce as defined by the shipper's intent. This is not complicated or hard to understand. It is also clearly stated in the FMCSA Guidance I posted.

6. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Bol is about the load itself. Trip info is about what driver did or will do or is doing with load.

Load might go from rialto to long beach port on ur trip info(what u did with load). The actual reciever was in hawaii which is on bol which is info between the real shipper and reciever(not associated with what driver did or will do with load). Driver cant drive overseas a ship took the container to another port and another driver delivered it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  7. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Bill of lading
    Description
    A bill of lading is a document issued by a carrier to acknowledge receipt of cargo for shipment. Although the term historically related only to carriage by sea, a bill of lading may today be used for any type of carriage of goods. Wikipedia

8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    For the record part 373.101 details what is required on a BILL OF LADING. If these rules are followed by the shipper all the information needed to determine interstate and intrastate are RIGHT ON IT!

§ 373.101 For-hire, non-exempt motor carrier bills of lading.
    Every motor carrier subject to § 373.100 shall issue a receipt or bill of lading for property tendered for transportation in interstate or foreign commerce containing the following information:

(a) Names of consignor and consignee.

(b) Origin and destination points.

(c) Number of packages.

(d) Description of freight.

(e) Weight, volume, or measurement of freight (if applicable to the rating of the freight).

The carrier shall keep a record of this information as prescribed in 49 CFR part 379.
    [55 FR 11198, Mar. 27, 1990, as amended at 56 FR 30874, July 8, 1991; 62 FR 15423, Apr. 1, 1997; 81 FR 68345, Oct. 4, 2016]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.