Another CB Shop Gets Busted By The FCC...

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by delta5, Apr 21, 2014.

1. BigBearNY

BigBearNY Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2014

Actually know about packet a little. I am a network engineer. Years ago I worked for a fortune 500 that wanted to connect buidings without going through the phone company. We researched packet as WIFI did not yet exist. It was a mainframe to mini connection. We ended up with line of sight microwave. But again I hear nothing between 10-11 except the cabs. Military has NO jurisdiction over private citizens so there would have to be a record somewhere if this happened. Again... I don't doubt it has happened I just doubt it has happened between 10 and 11 meters. Don't know where your from but if you ever pass through NYC tune in to the freeband above 40 you'll find livery cab traffic deasily. Look at the number of cabs with obvious CB antennas and you will get where I am coming from. We have a large military presence here in the city. Forts Hamilton, Totten and Fort Wadsworth are the larger instlallations. I can't believe they would put up with any interference if they were using those frequencies.

Even the yellows here have CB's modded for extra channels. The have to have legit radios too as they are heavily regulated by the TLC. But they use freeband to contact their buddies if they have a fare and see someone looking for a cab. Of course this being NYC this "system" is used mainly very late at night as there are usually not enough cabs available.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowblind

snowblind Heavy Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    conover nc
    so does this mean i cant use my 8 tube in my truck anymore......like i have last 30 years

4. BigBearNY

Mar 14, 2014
    8 Tube? Who made that? I have an old D&A tube mobile that I bought new many years ago.... Too much drain on the system though...Jiust not into doing what's necessary to get it running right. Sounded good to everyone the few times I ran it off my 60 amp supply. Keeping it with my other tube collectables.

5. snowblind

snowblind Heavy Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    conover nc
    ray built all elkins in elkin nc still working on cb radios.or was last i saw him bout 7 months ago.i have 2- 8 tubes 1- 4 tube.i have a few old radios trams 70s cobra 29 brand new in box and a couple tube mobiles radios

6. BigBearNY

Mar 14, 2014
    Very nice.... my tube collection includes a 201, 201A, 2 Browning Mk. III's, A Thunderbolt 505, Mule Kicker 300 and the D&A Mobile. Only change I want to make is to get rid of 1 Browning and acquire a Mk IV. Have to admit, with the scarcity of tubes, I tend to use my Cobra 2000.... Have about 20 solid state bases and a whole bunch of mobiles. Am getting married and the fiancé says the collection must be thinned... Keeping the tube stuff and the 2000. Also have a Siltronix 1011D with matching speaker, meter and frequency counter. That's a listening radio as I never got a license.

7. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

If you're listening on a sideband rig, you *may* hear a subtle change in the "tone" of the background static. If you're listening on AM, you will hear... absolutely nothing. If you're close enough to the transmitter, and you look on a spectrum analyzer, you *may* see a slight "hump" in the noise.

8. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006

"'Military has no jurisdiction over private citizens"--unquote:biggrin_255::biggrin_255::biggrin_255:

Ever hear of Martial Law? You have NEVER heard of the military being in control in a disaster zone (prevent looting)? See what happens when a perp walks out the door of a shop with a TV in his hand---only to find a US Army soldier in full riot gear and an automatic rifle aiming at him!

NYC cabs HAVE been cited for operating in the so-called "freeband", and it will happen again. Some of them got nailed for operating ON 10 Meters! Just a matter of time before it happens again:biggrin_2553:.

9. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

That would be a National Guard soldier, not a US Army soldier, if it happens in the US. The Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the use of the regular military within the US. Yes, there are a few limited exceptions, but so far, those haven't occurred. (Basically, if the scope of the disaster has to be so large that local law enforcement + the National Guard can't handle it.)

It's true that the military has no direct jurisdiction over private citizens. I am no longer subject to the UCMJ. However, the mechanism is in place that if the military hears you using THEIR frequencies (i.e. "interfering with official military communications") and reports it to the FCC, the FCC *is* obligated to follow up on that report.

I don't understand the desire to operate out of band. We have 40 channels to play with, and just about everywhere, 39 of them are not being used.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I just got rid of a Browning mkiv, I traded it for a better radio - a Tram tr-27e. I was about to scrap it out because no one seemed to want it. I never liked the mk ivs because they reminded me of a teaberry Model T which may be a better radio. You can have the 201/201as, I love the titan II and the tr-27e is almost as good as the titans I have had.

Because they can.

11. BigBearNY

Mar 14, 2014
    Wish I was there w you wanted to scrap the Mk IV, LOL! I know many who think the Mk III is a better radio. I have never had a MKIV but have been told many times the channel selector is prone to failure. Same story on the 201A. But I want to have as a collectible more than a daily driver.

You are the first person I have ever heard say that either the Tram or Browning is not a top notch performer. I sold a second 201 I had a couple of years ago. Received a "virgin" Cobra 2000 and $200 which I chose from several other offers. Audio and power on Browning and Tram radios is great. Have never had a 27e so I could not make an accurate comparasion.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.