Another dash cam thread.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by otterinthewater, Mar 19, 2019.

1. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I’m seriously considering saying #### it. I’m so confused. I read reviews online, on amazon and I have zero trust in those. There’s so many contradictory reviews. Can someone just tell me what they bought and if it worked.

Things I think are needed.
    1. WiFi to my phone
    2. Good picture / day and night
    3. Looping recording / big SD card
    4. G-sensor
    5. Parking mode
    6. Doesn’t thermal shut down all the time
    7. Can rotate to point out the window
    8. Whatever else the cool guys say.
    9. Might want to post screen shots or vid to Instagram.

I’ve looked at Vantrue, Garmin 55, Rexing, wheel witness. I’ve probably looked at 25 other different units. I wish there was just a Sony or Alpine or whatever that had a brand name I was familiar with.

At this point, much like when I asked about CB’s in that section I’ll just buy what you guys say. That way I’ve got a good starting point. I’ll spend up to $300.

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just an fyi to confuse you even more, a lot of these brands are nothing more than the same circuity in a different wrapper. Over there in China where they are made, the company who makes them will offer the packaging design service for a customer but with the same features or features turned off as the rest.

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Yes, search dash can on Alibaba and you can see how many are “similar but different”. I’ve been thinking about buying one of the cheap knock-offs just to see if it works.

5. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    That video I just put on the us23 thread I took this morning with a garmin 45. It has everything you mentioned. It took 3 min to transfer from my cam to iPhone 7 via WiFi.

I think the only real difference between the 55 and 45 is voice activation. I got the bundle off amazon w/32 GB card for 180 bucks (total inc shipping)

otterinthewater and tscottme Thank this.
  6. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Only catch on the garmin is that to have it on with the engine off you have to buy a 35 dollar cable and install it

tscottme Thanks this.
  7. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    I got the same model. It works with engine off aslong there is power to it. Unless parking mode thing auto saves clips

Jwhis Thanks this.
  8. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    You’re always so helpful. Hahahahaha

9. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    "....4. G-sensor ..."

Why do you need G-sensor? I am now on camera number 6 and the first thing that I do is

".....turn G-sensor OFF....".

It seems like a good idea to have G-sensor but what actually happens is all of these nice and gentle stops get recorded as "...EVENTS...." and then when you really need to find a video you realize that the Micro SD card was filled with EVENTS that were not events and that there was no room left on the Micro SD card for a clip that you wanted to review.

While I don't have WiFi you can get it on Vantrue X-3. I have had 2 G1Ws, 1 OldShark, 2 Vantrue X1s, and a Z-Edge Z3. I like the Vanture the best because of the night recordings have the best visibility.

Always save the original box and every item that comes in the box. None of the cameras have lasted more than 11 months. The vantrue comes with an 18 month warranty and they have been good to work with.

Lepton1 and otterinthewater Thank this.
  10. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I have 2 garmin 45 cameras and one failed 3 months the other one 4 months.

11. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
    I have a Rove R2-4K. $109.99 on Amazon. It has the features you're looking for and I like it a lot better than the Garmin I had before.

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  12. AGexpress

AGexpress Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.