Another Fatal Motorcycle Accident Involving A Semi-All Because Of A Deer

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Closest I have come to a fatal accident was driving on a dark road. I came upon an upside-down car in the middle of the road with about 6 people surrounding the vehicle. I had just enough time to move onto the shoulder. The wrecked car had no lights and because it was sideways, no reflection on the lights either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    I hate hate hate driving on undivided highways at night. Can't see anything except the on-coming headlights. There could be a boulder in the middle of the road and I wouldn't see it.

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Ive stood on the brakes more than a few times on 2 lanes late at night for what usually turned out to be a shadow or puddle of moisture.

5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Let's review the facts presented in the article:
    The motorcyclist was on I-65 northbound at 02:00 near Columbus IN
    He hits a deer, loses control, is thrown from the motorcycle
    3 motorists stop to render aid to him.
    Semi truck comes upon the accident in the highway, runs into the crash scene, killing the already injured motorcyclist.

Hard to do accident re-creation with so little to work with but:
    We don't know the time elapsed between the motorists stopping and the semi collision. Probably less than a few minutes even at 02:00
    Presumably the motorists were trying to move the injured motorcyclist, but didn't want to make his injuries worse, so were being careful
    Also, the three motorists probably had lights on, probably some flashers, in the middle of the highway.
    The highway is flat and straight all through that area. The truck driver should have easily seen what was transpiring in front of him.

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.