Another N14 oil pressure question

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Patilan, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Patilan

Patilan Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2013
    99 N14 Celect in a Century, when I drive down the road steady at 1400-500 RPM the needle on the oil pressure gauge keeps moving up to 35PSI and then back to 30 a lot, but not all the time.
    You can see it on this video

Is this normal?
    Less than 30000 miles since change ofmain and rod bearings.
    Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Do you know for sure if you have a mechanical gauge or is it electric? If it’s electronic, that could be a power/ground issue. You could run a temp mechanical gauge just to confirm it.

I’m sure there are more people that know more about Cummins then I do. They may pipe off the correct answer any minute.

Patilan Thanks this.
  4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    This is an electrical gauge and 5 psi fluctuation is more than normal nothing out of spec really. Also the other part need to know if the rpm is steady if rpm changes so will oil psi

5. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Inspect the oil pressure sensor for oil wicking into connector @ sensor. Seen many cause the same problem as you show. Quick easy check. If oil is present, replace sensor and Cummins sells repair pigtails if oil had spread terminal receptacles.

CellNet Thanks this.
  6. Patilan

Patilan Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Thanks for answering my question.
    I did change the oil sensor recently, thatst why I toughth that something else may be going wrong. Haven't been driving this truck long.
    Also, since last oil change, my pressure at idle is noticeably higher it was 10psi, now 15 - 16; same oil as last time, different filter.
    Can oil filter affect oil pressure that much?
    If so, what is the better brand for Cummins N14 Celect?
    Regular Delvac 15w40 oil.

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  7. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567

I run 20 psi at idle with my n14. Idle set around 700 rpm. The pressure relief spring in the oil pump could be getting weak. It'll result in funky oil psi readings.
    Best to run a mechanical gauge if you can. Otherwise 30-40 psi about all you'll see. Cummins N14 is a low psi high volume. If you drop to 20 at 1500, start pulling those piston cooler nozzles as they are plastic and can crack, causing a psi loss.

Patilan Thanks this.
  8. agngua

agngua Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Citrus Heights, CA
    I have 2000 Century with N14, been driving it since new. My oil pressure gauge needle jumps from 30 to 35, just like yours, always been like that. Idle 12-15 psi at 600 rpm.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.