Another Watkins Shepard Thread

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by harley4life, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Tinman55

Tinman55 Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Louisville, CO
    Hey Dawg .. I'm talking to them about the Dalton terminal after I finish school. They have a distance from terminal requirment. I'm in Woodstock just North of ATL and that is in the hiring range for Dalton. I asked about moving to Cary where my sister lives and she said that would be outside the Hickory hiring range, but might work with the Highpoint.

No, you always park the truck at the terminal .. it doesn't go home. Where I live there's nowhere to park it so that's actually fine with me. I just leave a vehicle at the terminal .. nice and safe.

I assume running out of Dalton I'd move a lot of carpet going out .. as Hickory would likely move a lot of furniture .. but I'm sure it varies, especially on the return trips.

It's all new to me but that's what I was told .. YMMV

Steve

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman81

Brickman81 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Is W/S installing APU's on company trucks now?

4. keb1209

keb1209 Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Decatur, GA
    They don't check your heart and BP afterwards, they're just making sure you're capable. I thought it was a little silly at first, but after I got my first furniture run out of SFS, I see why it's needed.

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  5. keb1209

keb1209 Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Decatur, GA
    A lot of the newer trucks (1800 or so and up) have APUs. I wasn't lucky enough to get one, I have a 1600 series truck. After talking to a few drivers with them, I'm glad I don't have one. If the APU breaks down, the truck will still only allow you to idle for like 5 or 10 minutes, and that can't be overriden. On the older trucks like mine, it can be overriden.

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  6. ScooterDawg

ScooterDawg <strong>"The Blue Tick Lab"</strong>

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Yeah, I was a little concerned about that. I sort of thought there may be a little too much distance for Hickory, but figured that HighPoint might be within the range.

Keep in touch.... it will be interesting to see what you find out. I'm still trying to get up with Roxy, so if I hear something, I'll let you know.

Thanks Steve

7. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Thanks Keb,

Guess there is a method to the madness, huh?

:biggrin_255:

8. kerouesque

kerouesque Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2008
    denver, co
    another newbie question haha.

so ive been calling roxy at all different times on all different days, left messages, sent emails, etc. and still havent heard from her. so i will once again turn to you wonderful people for answers.
    i am kind of confused on the endorsements. i will be getting a colorado CDL, but i know that i need to get a montana permit to train up in missoula. so should i wait until i get up there to go in to take the endorsement tests, or should i get them down here first, in addition to getting them up there? just trying to get all my ducks in a row. thanks everyone.

9. B-rad

B-rad Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Take your CDL tests in Colorado and get your CDL Instruction Permit because you will be driving on the second day and you need it to drive. You will then have to take the Montana CDL Class A tests because you will be issued a Montana CDL if you are going to the Watkins/Shepard 30 day training. Then when you get back to Colorado you will have to go into your DMV and transfer the Montana CDL to a Colorado CDL and you would use the endorsements you have in Colorado.

10. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Yep, b-rad is right. I spoke to Roxie on two different occasions today. You can either get your home state CDL permit, OR I think you can wait until you get up there and get it in Montana on the first day of school(that's the way I understood it). Personally, I would go ahead and get it now. Seems it would be less rushing around when you get there. My $.02.

11. msmspilot

msmspilot Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2008
    North Mississippi
    They might let you do that, but we were told to have our permits from our home state before we got there because there wouldn't be time to get it before we needed to drive.

Class runs 8AM to 5PM with an hour for lunch and the DMV won't let you start testing after 3PM. And the hour for lunch... you might get it done, but it would be tight.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted