antenna clearance and mounts for low overhead access

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by rolls canardly, Oct 9, 2017.

1. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    "Ask someone who knows." And thx in advance!
    So, I like the 7 foot clear skip-shooter antenna on E-Bay that rabbiporkchop showed on another thread.
    Here's the catch, I drive a Freightliner M-2 Rollback and am constantly backing into low clearance
    areas, trees, wires, etc. Back in the day there was a 7 foot stainless whip with a gigantic spring base.
    So what's the new techno solution?
    I'm sure there are fold down mounts or something invented since the 1970's?
    Short of climbing up and unscrewing it every time I back into something to pick up.
    I have fiberglass doors and aluminum cab, BTW.
    Don't really want a mirror mount, would like it in middle of cab. Any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Sounds like the perfect reason to run a short base loaded whip antenna. The ss whip will take a lot more abuse then the fiberglass antenna will.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Yup. I've got a 102" steel whip mounted to my lower mirror bracket. Thing set 15'6" tall when it was new, but has got into enough stuff (trees, bridges, etc...) over the years it has lost a little length. A fiberglass antenna mounted that tall would be junk the first time it got into anything at speed...and if it wasn't on a spring, wouldn't last long at slow speeds either.

5. rolls canardly

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Wow....That was quick.
    I guess I can resurrect that old stainless whip;
    I still have it, stuck up across the steel bar joist of the garage roof.
    Or should I go buy a new one?

6. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Old one will work.

7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Get a mag mount sirio and be done with it..
    Glue some sheet metal to the cab roof(inside i mean so mag will stick to it..Mine folds down but i just take it off my pick up roof..

8. rolls canardly

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Thanks craig_sez. I researched Sirio antennas.
    Sirio Performer 5000 3/8 CB Mobile Trucker Antenna and Sirio Mag 145 Mag Mount Combo.
    Sells for less than 100 bucks. Worst case scenario - I will just take it down for backing in.
    Think I will try this; Thanks!

9. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    If you want to go mag mount and real short with excellent performance, try a Wilson Lil Wil. I use one on my car and it’s a fantastic performer for its size.

A couple of caveats... it’s VERY narrow banded, so having someone set it with an antenna analyzer will keep you from pulling your hair out trying to get the SWR to the lowest on 19. The coax is also very skinny and won’t take too many slammings in a door jamb before it’s junk. Route it accordingly and don’t pinch it, even a little bit.

10. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Lil we i found a pia..Its nothin compared to my sirio..
    Had my sirio upgraded with lem 240 and some weather treatment done..Dont want water gettin in..
    Plus my sirio mag mount can bed over at a right angle if need be..Bigger mag on the sirio..
    The wilson lil wee will work but so will a 3 ft fibreglass just not as good as it can be..

11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I got the solution for you. You're going to need a machine shop to make one of these for you but once you have it you can screw a 9-foot whip directly into the top of it and cut that whip to any length you desire and whined yourself a copper coil around this thing to tune the antenna for any length you desire.
    Then you'll be able to smash that whip into anything you want without having to worry about damaging something.
    full-4_zpsu4k2zstd.jpeg

the more top-heavy and fragile the antenna is, the better it will perform and as you move the load to the bottom of the antenna you will notice a drastic reduction in how it performs although it will be indestructible at that point.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.