Anxiety in the snow

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sunshinegirl, Dec 31, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    HA.

I know I have a couple of worn out wyoming pictures here but once again...

For OP, we were on lockers at about 10 or so with a rocky double tanker behind me a mile. This car was coming on at 70. Had the old camera ready as soon it hit that nice ice. whiff. We could not stop but since Sheridan is a cowboy town, Im pretty sure someone came out to get them right off.

slide one.jpg slide two.jpg

Odin's Rabid Dog, Rocks and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Slow down and increase following distance. Never drive faster than you can stop.

4. VegasRed73

VegasRed73 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2019
    People tend to drive like it’s always dry and ‘normal’ even when it’s not. I’ve lived in Vegas for 23 years and every time it rains after a dry spell there’s more than 100 accidents which when I drove public transit was involved a few times in those stats. I also suffer anxiety it’s taken me a long time to get past it in snow and high winds to the point the winds are above 35 to 40 to get me off the road. As a matter of fact I’m stuck in Rawlins WY because the winds made the roads invisible with snow. On New Years no less. But I wouldn’t have gotten to where I am if not for the fact that I overcome my fears the only way I know how, I get back in the seat and keep going. Fear is a powerful motivator and you need to find a way to stick your middle finger up at it. Don’t let it hold you back. People are idiots and will be chronically late adrenaline junkies till they either lose their license or life. Don’t let them hold you back either. Just do what you can to stay safe and keep moving.

ghostcookie, x1Heavy and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    What are those metal thingies with rubber snubbers around your drive tires...? o_O
    Screenshot_20191231-233422_Google.jpg

x1Heavy, Dave_in_AZ and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  6. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I drive faster and have more confidence in a fully loaded big truck in bad weather than I ever would in my pickup. Weight equals traction.

Most importantly don't overdrive your own personal skill set. I was born and raised in the snow belt on the south shore of lake Superior. I know snow, and I know how to read a road. Add in that I've been trucking for a number of years and my skill level is going to be different than yours. As such the speed I travel at and the conditions I am willing to drive in are going to be different as well.

Go at a speed you feel safe and don't be afraid to shut it down. No matter what the desk jockey dispatcher says, or how hot that load of freight is. Many factors effect what is safe in a big truck. Weight, type of trailer, type of snow, wind, and temp all play a part. With time you will gain experience and confidence.

Truckermania, x1Heavy and LoSt_AgAiN Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Regarding the traction, I love to be heavy. The heavier the much better she is. To a certain point. Its all a balance.

US 322 Seven Mountains Grade in PA towards State College from Roughly US15 Duncannon, I had a trainer even though I had my very first winter out of trucking school running WVa with dedicated GM glass to Baltimore from Kentucky. Regardless of winter weather. It simply was not a factor even in 3 feet of powder snow or ice. The type of truck we had then was something they do not do in today's plastic tractors. (All steel body etc)

Anyway. Seven Mountains is 5 miles up to 8% Curvy and everything. Trainer I had that year would have me up and over it where possible every time there was snow. I learned about things from him such as RPM trap, for example we were coming up to summit southbound (Eastward) and she would break traction at about 1450 and have traction until 1250 and need to down shift which results in breaking traction again at 1700 spinning out so you stay at 1300 all the way up, over and down. Anything slower or faster on the RPM gauge will take away your traction.

That was a trip. More importantly my trainer at the time one of the best I felt, he could not be bothered to give a #### what happened good or bad, I am responsible for it. So I learned. I referred to US322 alot and thats one reason why. All the megas in those days were in the ditch at the bottom having spun off and we are just grinding upgrade smooth.

Now Ronnie Dowdy kept sending me into the south when we had ice storms that made for pure ice. That old FLD120 sometimes. One night I am supposed to sleep on top of a hill in NE Miss, New Oxford I think (I'll have to look it up) with a bacon shipper. Being empty the storm winds shoved my whole rig towards a three foot ditch all night 2 inches at a time. 5 feet to the edge. shove gust shove gust shove gust shove. closer and closer. When the sun came up and that gate opened (Which created a new problem downgrade then back uphill to their dock...) I kinda refused to see how close to falling over in that ditch I had been.

Also it was a 4 way stop intersection. Zero traffic all night. Sleepy sweet dreams in the middle of the #### thing. Trailer and all blatantly taking it over.

Getting back to Little Rock on US 79 to Memphis was another problem a jackknife on every one of those sloped to side bridges. Just needed to herd the stupid cars to make them get on THAT side (Left where it's higher slope than you) so your trailer can grind along the bridge rail as you dragged it across gently at less than walking speed. The cars did good but they insisted on staying with us. UGH.

I slept I think 20 hours when I got to Galloway, schedules be ######. But eventually the load delviered. Just three days of ice capades. A little jackknifing, a little sliding, dancing and everything. Logs? HA. Not in that kind of weather.

And the worst part? I craved that. I needed that. When it's 70 out and sunshine bare clear roads with nothing to worry about except hold wheel, I get bored. So... it worked out.

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ok, always tough to follow X1's posts, I'll let you all regroup, but dear, remember, unless you want to wipe old mens rear ends, you chose this job. These things should make you more aware, you are doing one of the most dangerous driving jobs out there, recovery. I have 35 years in a semi, and could never do recovery, I tried. Like others said, make sure you have cameras, fore and aft, and by all means, never turn your back on traffic. You'll be fine, buckaroo:thumbup:

LoSt_AgAiN and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am sorry some of my posts are hard to follow. I constantly work on it. Then sometimes the internet laughs off my bumbling and fat fingering. Somewhere in that pile is a small morsel of a lesson.

I have seen way too many people in life get old and grouchy. I choose to get happy. But not too happy because that is somehow illegal today =)

I also am one of those who could never do towing. However some of those trucks to my eye look capable as hell. Particularly when you put chains under them. I don't rely on television shows to show me whats what, but am happy I am simply one who holds a steering wheel in big snow. Not one who goes out to rescue people in same with a hook.

ghostcookie and 201 Thank this.
  10. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    This might sound silly but hear me out: maybe your rig has too many lights? They seem to attract drivers instead of keeping them away. Maybe an arrow configuration directing traffic to the other lane would bring better results?

stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well I don't get where people think 4X4 safer. It isn't, it can't stop any better or any faster than a front or rear wheel drive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.