Any 100 percent drop and hook companies out there ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dennisroc, Dec 27, 2013.

1. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    I am new to the trucking world and think if I was to drive after all I have read on here, I think I would prefer to drive like 1200 miles drop off a trailer pick up another trailer and deliver it like 1200 miles and keep doing that.Maybe everyone wants something like this but I am just saying I think this would work well for me to be a solo driver with my wife riding along.

I am not sure if a job like this is even available but if anyone knows of any company that does long OTR yard to yard please let me know.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Boy Howdey

Boy Howdey Medium Load Member

May 22, 2013
    Almost any LTL company is 100% drop and hook. I drive for ABF, and I never touch freight. I drive 300-570 miles, drop my load at our terminal then head to the hotel. After 10-22 hours in hotel I come back, grab my return load, and head home. In my own bed every other night. Make roughly 75 to 85k. New drivers usually do about 60-65k.

bottomdumpin, MACK E-6, crb and 2 others Thank this.
  4. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea

Boy Howdey, sounds like a great job. I think something like this would be fine. I did not notice anything on this site but did a Google search and got a lot of info from their website.

Seems they are union ? Great pay per mile. Do they also have trucks with sleepers and do longer trips. We are not concerned about home time that much as our home is in the Philippines but would like to take some time off in Indiana to see family and will stay at my daughters house on home time.

I am a newbie and see where they may train, do you know if they hire newbies.

i wonder why ABF is not listed under Motor Carriers on this site ? They look like a very good company.

Can you tell me what type of trucks and transmissions they have.

Thanks

5. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Got to love this site. People don't want to drive manuals, do live loads, make right turns, take drug test of any kind, get wet, fuel truck, drive in traffic, or take orders from their trainers.

6. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    You should do ltl local or long haul curtain van if you're looking to just constantly be working

dennisroc Thanks this.
  7. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I know right? In this job so far I've gotten more tired, wetter, colder than I have when I worked construction. True story. Take what u can get other then that you must Not be hungry enough

alds and Dinomite Thank this.
  8. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    And i don't want to drive east in the morning or west in the afternoon, because the sun would be in my eyes.

9. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Well don't get into flatbed work. Poor kid will get dirty and cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.
    Mommy, Can you kiss my boo boo..

If life was that simple. You work in this bussiness doing long haul..

Dinomite and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    I think you better watch out sir with those 4 letter words. (Work)

Lumper Humper, D.Tibbitt and AZ379 Thank this.
  11. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    can I only drive on I80 when the sun is out please

TravR1, alds, Lumper Humper and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.