Any 100 percent drop and hook companies out there ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dennisroc, Dec 27, 2013.

1. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    77 I am just looking for now what is out there for a newbie who wants to bring the wife along.

Is Indiana a good place for truck driver jobs ? Seems like jobs are everywhere but some want exp. I don't know if there are some better states or areas for jobs. We will be willing to travel anywhere or local. I have just spent a couple weeks each year in the USA for the last 8 yrs so going home once a month would be a lot more than I do now.Lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you want warm weather while in China, go to Hainan Island, Hong Kong, Shenzhen. I have a permanent residency in my passport for China, so don't need a visa anymore. Direct flight from Las Vegas to Beijing. Have you been to Macau, China? Big gambling city like Las Vegas. I want to vacation there but the wife refuses; says the women there don't wear enough clothes, HA!!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    RubyEagle and TruckDuo Thank this.
  4. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Actually my friend my comments were just at a number of different threads. I really haven't seen anybody complain about fueling or some of the other things I mentioned. It was just light hearted humor that some get and many don't. I guess quitting my day job to be a comedian is not in the works for a few more years.

I was going to actually mention the hauling new trailers, but I was thinking that owner operators usually do that, and Or hauling the brand new trucks to the dealer ship, but I think that job even has manual labor in it. CTI I know that advertise relays, but I think they only allow teams to do that and I'm not sure you wanted your wife to drive. I also didn't think the LTL fit what you was looking for either, because most of those guys who do the longer runs. Run as a team. Sorry but I always hear that trucking is a job where you can see the country etc, but after 14 years of doing this. I think if your want to see the country get an RV. Also there are people who haul RV's again not sure if you have to be an independent contractor to do that. I think they also drive buses around.

In your post you said you was thinking about being a truck driver but from what you have described. Some of us call that Steering wheel holder, and Those guys just get in Super truckers way. So Again this may seem like an easy way to live rent free, and make some nice change. But To some of us. This is a career and we take it very serious. It's very dangerous, and some of these companies are ran by crooks who will rob you blind. You don't only have that to worry about but trying to keep 4 wheeler's from taking the paint of your shiny fender, or your freshly polished chrome bumper for 11 hours. This job may look easy on the outside, but after close calls, bad weather, shipper and receiver issue's, truck breakdowns, and slow pay weeks. Its enough to make you say. CALGON take me away, but you can't, because the truck stops are full, and you have to park outside the shipper so they can load you in the morning in front of a no parking sign. Hoping not to wake up with a tow truck in front of you or a ticket on your window. Anyway its time for bed. Hope nobody runs into the back of me on this street :)

MACK E-6 and dennisroc Thank this.
  5. dennisroc

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    That's where I thought about going, a pilot friend has a Chinese wife and they said it is across from Dinang( Spelling) , Vietnam and very warm in the winter. Has nice beach and tourist hotels but very crowded at this time of year and also I will be by myself and want to take the wife when I go to China.
    My friend is wanting to start a business there giving airplane rides in an old Waco biplane. And a small airplane shuttle service out of Cambodia. They said they really like Hainan Island, I guess I gotta check it out someday

6. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    While i have no personal experience in this, you might look into delivering RV's. Northern Indiana is a hot bed of RV manufactuers and someone has to take them to the dealers. Just sayin.

dennisroc Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, just to clarify, the man isn't a "kid".;)

Oh geez... Ya'll are killing me.:lol:

Alright guys, enough. Let's not razz the new folks to the point where they won't wanna join us, okay?:)

To the OP, what your looking for sounds like a linehaul run at an LTL outfit. However, you need a doubles and hazmat endorsement. Doubles is easy to get. That's just a written test. Hazmat however is by far a different animal.

Also, NONE of those company will take you with no experience. My best suggestion to you is a construction company with dump trucks and/or trailers.

8. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I did drop and hook runs for Werner on their general Mills account. Got old having to fix things on their trailers just to be legal.

dennisroc Thanks this.
  9. dennisroc

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    Its all good Mack I can take some ribbing. Never sat and wondered what it would be like to drive a dump truck only an 18 wheeler, but thanks for the heads up.

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I've done it. Not a bad job for a semi-retired guy. So in your position you shouldn't have much issues with the winter slowdowns.

It's a little monotonous at times though, especially when you have to make 15 trips from the quarry to the same jobsite 5 miles away.

dennisroc Thanks this.
  11. realsupatrucka

realsupatrucka Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2013
    houston tx
    Lol I swear every winter ima quit flat bedding lol...but I never do

dennisroc Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.