Any 100 percent drop and hook companies out there ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dennisroc, Dec 27, 2013.

1. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    While I was checking on doing flat bed , in my mind I am picturing a sunny day about 70 degree's and easy tarp and strap , but then I am outside working the other night the temp was 15 Degree's and a light wind. I don't work outside for very long at a time , maybe 1 hour but I thought this is why I want to quit my job and go into trucking, it is tooooo cold.

So I have decided if I get into trucking I want to do more driving and less time outside strapping and tarping. Has got to be tough on any day but cold days make this old man's bones hurt.

zincman Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Indiana is a great place to live and truck . You might even give hopper bottom a look just roll tarps and crank chutes open and closed . It runs local or regional most don't want allot of time in the seat to do the job around here in Illinois anyway .

dennisroc Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dennisroc, do not ignore those who are critical of your idea. Take it as an indication of what we put up with when a lot of new people don't want to put in their time and earn the respect they expect to have. Not saying you are one of them but for us we want people to try to be a better professional and not a steering wheel holder.

I too am getting older, done a lot of things in my life, hurt a lot from some of them, as mentioned I have never been colder, wetter and more in danger at times in any other career as I have with this one. I am doing flat bed work now, it is dangerous not because of the trucking part of it but the idiot forklift drivers I have to deal with daily, many of them don't even know basic hand signals and moving a 20,000 lb die around, it makes it rather dangerous to be even near the truck. I do it not because I need to but because I don't want to just sit and drive. I need to get out and move around for that 11 hours I work, and I think you may find that drop and hooks will get you to where I was a few months ago, tired of sitting.

dennisroc, Dinomite and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    There are a few options. LTL is one several have suggested. Look for a dedicated run. Check into hauling auto parts, may not be 1200 miles drop hook, but you will see the same places regularly. Quite a few companies in indiana especially near indianapolis run auto parts. Mail is another option, but I am not sure if any of them hire with zero experience.

6. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    IWX does relays I believe as well, not sure if it is team or solo. Also not sure if they hire with zero experience.

dennisroc and Dinomite Thank this.
  7. Mountain Hummingbird

Mountain Hummingbird Medium Load Member

Oct 14, 2012
    That has nothing to do with the site but rather the reality that workers today are not what workers were 20 years ago.

Dinomite Thanks this.
  8. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    I don't think anyone has ever said:

"It's a live load?! I can't wait to bump that dock and WAIT!"

[​IMG]

crb and dennisroc Thank this.
  9. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    You forgot to add.....and want to get paid top dollar for holding a steering wheel!!

Dinomite Thanks this.
  10. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Well then you would be wrong--or listening to the wrong drivers--ask any of us old serious chicken haulers that have done the 3 day Salinas to the Point deals-(or any one of the 1000 other loads like it)-and YES I cant wait to get to Market--where I know they are gonna be 7-10hours gettin my load sold and unloaded--so I can relax AND get some SLEEP!

Dinomite Thanks this.
  11. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Your biggest challenge will be finding company that will hire a 60 year old with absolutely no experience, good luck.

FLATBED Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.