Any advice for owning a dog OTR?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Robert Eroica Dupea, Dec 17, 2018.

1. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    Seriously..hair. Lots and lots of hair. And don't let the short hairs fool you. They shed plenty. Then you gotta watch their diet. Trucker dogs eat corn dogs and chili and moon pies... And if they don't like the snow or refuse to wear boots winter gets to be a whole new struggle.

On the other hand, the company keeps you sane and they will let you know if anyone is creeping around your truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Best advise EVA is DONT!!!

tommymonza Thanks this.
  4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If you’re not a neat freak then getting a dog will only make your truck more of a disaster. Me? I’m a little ocd to begin with so having my dog along isn’t that big of a deal. I was already cleaning and wiping the cab down daily. I already had towels down on the in front of the seat because I drive without shoes, so all I did was buy more towels and completely covered the floor of the cab as well as the sleeper floor in front of the bed. They can be pulled out and shook off every day during the week and then they got washed on the weekend. I also started carrying a Dewalt battery powered vacuum to maintain the truck during the week while I was gone, then the cab and sleeper would get vacuumed good at the yard before parking for the weekend.

5. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Women are less headache if you rent by the hour too

LoSt_AgAiN, MTN Boomer, Coover and 2 others Thank this.
  6. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I recently did my laundry at a Pilot. I have learned to inspect the machines with a flashlight and my nose after my first laundry incident left me with oil smelling shirts and grease stained boxers.

So went to load a side load machine the other day and just got in the laundry room when a tired couple walked in right behind me with a couple loads

Pressure was on to get mine washed

I had a couple loads also but there were only 2 machines so I ignored the pile of dog hair on the ledge by the door on the one machine and loaded it with my boxers and socks.

Soon as it stopped I was ready with a half roll of paper towels to wipe the edge before I unloaded it through the door

Needless to say I’ve got Frikin dog hair in my truck now.

7. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    I love the critters...but just can't bring myself to get one to live in the truck with me. If I did, it would definitely be a low or no shed model pooch. Probably would consider a small poodle...they are smart, no shed, and low maintenance. Yes, I know some super truckers would never be seen with one, but that's their problem.

8. Robert Eroica Dupea

Robert Eroica Dupea Light Load Member

9. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    IMG_0166.jpg 20150524_162948.jpg IMG_0254.jpg 20160112_152018.jpg
    Lucy turned 6 Dec 14th. She's been with me since she was 12 weeks old. She is a mini golden doodle. Sheds very little. Wasn't hard to train at all as far as pottie training. Only remember 1 accident.
    The dog will spend a lot of time with YOU. It will become VERY aware how your doing and if your stressed and mad or freaking out, the dog will also.
    Get some training lessons and work on sit, stay, no, heal and the big one is COME. recall is important.
    Don't let the dog loose in truck stops.
    I run mostly the same lanes so I have some hand picked off-leash areas where I can throw a ball and play fetch and get her some good exercise. Always have eyes around you, small dogs can become prey to other dogs and wildlife very easily.
    Truck stop parking lots are filthy. I avoid them.
    1 they get hot and pavement burns their feet.
    2 the oil and grease gets in their feet and they lick it off and get sick.
    3 they will EAT ANYTHING... (I'll leave that to the imagination)
    It's awesome having her in the truck. She saved me 2 tanks of fuel in Houston Texas one night. She knows not to bark when I'm sleeping (I have NO idea how) but she went crazy and I got up in time to see a guy run around get in a bobtail parked next to me and take off. When I got out to look my cap was off and fuel dripped on the tank. He didn't get anything and she did her job. I told my accountant about that and he checked with CRA and she is actually now a tax deduction... my security system... yup. I didn't believe it either.
    It's awesome having her out here with me. She keeps me calm sometimes and kicks my fat as from time to time and makes me stop and smell the roses.
    Lot of extra work, but very much worth.

Dino soar, alds, Makeajump and 6 others Thank this.
  10. Punisher255

Punisher255 Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2018
    The women or the dogs?

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  11. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Don't leave the dog tied to your truck, and then forget about it.

12. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Which ever floats your boat. I dont judge. Both if thats what it takes to get you threw the next day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.