Any advice for owning a dog OTR?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Robert Eroica Dupea, Dec 17, 2018.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Truck doors don't open until dog is on leash. A half-run over dog us not something you want to see.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Robert Eroica Dupea

Robert Eroica Dupea Light Load Member

LOL Thanks. Almost squashed one of three unleashed tiny dogs running around the drop yard a few months ago. Owner got pissed at ME.lol I was idling forward in 1st. Some people...

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Poms are like little furry footballs. That sounds mean but I mean it in a good way.

Bonus benefit of having a Pomeranian..
    You can practice your bush/banzai tree designs...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Or you can just let it do it's own thing...
    [​IMG]

Don't let the coat fool you, it was easy to maintain. They are always happy. The one my Nana had was a barker only with strangers coming to the house. An loved to go on long rides. By long I mean 12-14 hour drives.

Good luck! Choosing a dog is a tough choice. Lots of breeds are good choices, but you gotta find one that fits you. An who knows...you may end up like some of us an have one choose you.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Dogs...Nature's way of telling you not to take #### so seriously.

tscottme and Robert Eroica Dupea Thank this.
  5. Robert Eroica Dupea

I'm really digging the Poms. A service Pom just happened to walk into the library I'm at and the owner said shedding isn't an issue with her as long as she's brushed regularly. You sold me! Thank you!

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Unless you get home regularly, I would avoid any dog that has high maintenance requirements such as bathing and grooming unless you can do it yourself.

7. Robert Eroica Dupea

Single guy, no rent (no home, really), so that's a big consideration. Thank you!

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Little white dogs are real adorable but they get “dingy looking” real fast. All dogs get dirty fast but white dogs make it real noticeable

And a Maltese for instance, their hair will keep growing longer and longer. But you can cut them short (“puppy cut”) and they’re so much easier to manage at least for a while.

Robert Eroica Dupea Thanks this.
  9. Swiss Mountain Dog

Swiss Mountain Dog Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    Lots of nice small dogs in shelters all over the country.

10. Swiss Mountain Dog

Swiss Mountain Dog Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    One key thing that we've done with all our dogs for 20 plus years is to teach the "potty" command.

Every single time your new dog does his business, you make a big fuss and give cookies. EVERY TIME. You repeat the word "potty" or whatever your word choice is right before he goes, while he's going and lots of good boy etc and as soon as he finishes repeat the command and give a cookie.

Each dog is different and some learn this faster than others, but if you are consistent with it, at some point you can take your dog out and say "potty" and he will just go. Very handy on the road and in inclement weather.

Our Blue Heeler, the Entlebucher and the Rat Terrier mix all got this within a couple of days. The Ridgebacks and Plott Hound took a week. Hound dogs just aren't super fast learners like working breeds.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.