Any advice for owning a dog OTR?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Robert Eroica Dupea, Dec 17, 2018.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

My dog never ever had an accident in the truck. It was the only place she never had an accident. It's great to have a pet with you but it is one more complication to deal with.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cman87

cman87 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Do you guys with dogs restrain them in the seat or let them free roam in the truck?

4. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Both. Mostly she's free tho, she doesn't like the seat belt.

5. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Any advice for owning a dog OTR?

Yeah, leave it at home. You're going to work, not on a vacation.

Old Man and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Mine was free to roam in the truck. She passed way in 2012. Mostly she sat in the passenger seat like a co-driver or she would lay on the bunk. However, my dog never got out of the truck unless her leash was attached before the door was opened.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  7. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    my dog loves riding in the truck, no problem going 8 hours without a potty brake although its vary rare that i ever make him go that long. about the only time that ever happens is if i come in to load somewhere that isn't a good place to let the him out and i need to get some miles knocked out before i stop again. normally stop and let him out at least every 4-6 hours. he will let me know if he needs to go out so accidents are not a problem.

now dog hair on the other hand. yeah it gets everywhere it sucks to keep clean. try to keep him brushed to help but regular cleaning and vacuuming in the truck is necessary and even then hair gets everywhere way worse than it does in the house. i suppose probably because its a smaller space. while driving he spends most of his time in the passenger seat looking out the window or laying in the bed. does take extra time in the mornings to get ready to roll out because you have to take the dog for a walk before you leave. also a good walk in the evening.

my dog isn't a small dog (about 65 lbs) i normally pick him up and throw him in the truck, he could jump in on his own but he fell jumping in one time when he was younger and so he wants me to help him. basically he jumps into my arms and i put him in the truck so its really not like im picking him up from the ground.

its extra time some extra headache sometimes aggravating but its nice to have the company and the dog enjoys it so its worth it.

tscottme and Elroythekid Thank this.
  8. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I would have loved to have a dog back in the day.
    A small breed since sleepers were so much smaller and cramped and the truck stops weren't as cramped and busy. We could have watched the 5" Panasonic b&w television together if we were near a town...lol

tscottme and Elroythekid Thank this.
  9. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    One man's opinion.

Dennixx Thanks this.
  10. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    My opinion too. Your going to work. What is the plan when you get to a customer that doesn’t want pet on property?

11. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I have a small group of shippers and receivers, nobody cares, some wont give me my Bill's until she comes inside for a treat.

Opendeckin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.