Any and all questions about what companies are looking for in drivers!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by RecruiterMike, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    RecruiterMike,

You will hear all of the complaints about pay and benefits (and they ARE valid concerns), but I've often looked at the TL sector differently. One way to make it better would be for more companies to establish a "relay system" or utilize terminals and drop yards in a way that allows local drivers to take the deliveries the final mile. That would virtually eliminate "sitting" for drivers who are compensated by the mile and get little or no detention pay. Sure, it wouldn't work in every case, but it sure would eliminate a significant amount of driver headaches.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Well RecruiterMike hasn't bothered to update his thread or respond to any of the posts here in three weeks:biggrin_25513:. If this is typical of recruiters in general no wonder the companies are hurting for drivers. I would have to say this thread is an epic fail.:biggrin_25523:

Lonesome and zmpart Thank this.
  4. RecruiterMike

RecruiterMike Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Hey, sorry for the delay, I normally get an email when someone posts and I haven't gotten any.

Anyway, in answer to your question, if you've been out of the truck for 5 years, most companies are going to treat you like a brand new driver. Most companies will only consider the past 2-3 years as valid experience.

A lot of companies have regional fleets where you're home each weekend, if you qualify . . .

5. RecruiterMike

Oct 23, 2014
    Well because of EOE laws, you can't be denied a job because of your age exclusively . . . you may need to pass a physical, but not anything more than is required of every new hire

6. RecruiterMike

Oct 23, 2014
    Fair enough . . . I can tell you from my experience though that it's a 2-way street. And let's be honest, many drivers will talk to multiple recruiters, and mix-up what they're told from several companies and "misremember" what they were told. Anything that's important should be documented . . . have the recruiter put into an email at least.

truckerwife101 Thanks this.
  7. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Glad to know you're still interested in updating this thread. I knew I'd have to go back to "school" to regain my CDL I guess my biggest concern was if I went to the expense of getting my CDL would I be "overlooked" for job offers because of my age. I also looked at some of the pre work physical screening tests. I don't think I'd have a problem with any of them.

8. RecruiterMike

Oct 23, 2014
    Passing the drive test is different than recruiting . . . I drove for Conway truckload and was often surprised by who they would pass. Had a gal in my orientation class that completely butchered the drive test (curbing, honked at several times, lane control, side swiping trees . . . went to do backing and after 15 minutes asked where to find reverse. She was passed, and when I asked the tester what a fail would take, he replied that she would be with the company longer than I would . . . so he passed her.

9. RecruiterMike

Oct 23, 2014
    Good comment . . . it's all about fuel savings. However most research indicates that there isn't much of a savings from 62 mph to 65 mph. Regardless it's not a huge difference in paycheck either if you really do the math.

10. RecruiterMike

Oct 23, 2014
    Fair criticism . . . i checked it out the first day or so, but nobody had posted anything. Normally I get an email whenever someone posts, but nothing came. Sorry about that . . . I would've responded had I know there were things to respond to. I'll check more often and not rely on email notices.

hal380 and TB John Thank this.
  11. RecruiterMike

Oct 23, 2014
    Well, whether a company would "overlook" you or not, it's illegal for them to . . . but obviously some companies will anyway. In your situation, your best bet is probably to find a smaller company . . . they'll probably pay you better anyway.

TB John Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.