any box truck owner operators running under there own operating authority?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by bloodklok, Apr 18, 2019.

1. bloodklok

bloodklok Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2012
    any box truck owner operators running under there own operating authority? curious hows the super weak LTL market treating you everything i see is 50 cents to 80 cents to ship a pallet or two, all the box trucks i see are leased to carriers haven't yet to see anyone 100% independent running there own carrier dot number exc..., anyone out there running it independently and making it work and actually making money comment below, interested to hear you experience

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    Back before gettin my CDL I considered getting a box truck and running under my own numbers. Got passed a number to a guy who I called that said "I got all the work you need dock to dock, that box has to be at least 35 foot though" dont quote me on 35 but the number well over 30. Anyway at the time I didn't even realize they made them that #### big I was looking into ex rental trucks and your average 26 footers

4. bloodklok

bloodklok Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2012
    ive thought about doing a customized rig, like a cabover style cab, 45 foot chassis, 5 or 6 axles gvrw of idk maybe 70,000lbs able to load perhaps 30,000lbs and 38foot long box. i see 5, 6, and 7 axle dump trucks pass me on the hwy all day long so it kinda got me thinking, thats my thinking lol i believe 45foot is the longest legally for a straight truck

5. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    not a terrible idea if you can make it happen. here in georgia drop axles mean nothing on a straight truck according to the law. drop that thing going over the scale and DPS/DOT will act like its not even there. it just simply doesn't count. something about them tearing up the roads more???? dumb ### stuff right there but if your state aint one of those states seems like you could really do somethin with a set up like that

bloodklok Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.