Any companies out there willing to hire someone that can't climb into a trailer?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by OhioScott, Nov 25, 2022.

1. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I think this is the best path forward and I support you fully !
    Whatever it is that keeps you from getting into the back of a trailer is surely limiting you in many other ways including decreasing your lifespan.
    The older I get , the more important I realize health and fitness are

rockeee Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nmill

nmill Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Well consider me Tom Brady cause I do it multiple times a day 5 days a week haha

Lennythedriver and rockeee Thank this.
  4. rockeee

rockeee Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Kalama, Wa
    Yea it's not that hard of a task unless you are not in halfway decent shape.

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    There are other abilities, but all of them are important. Including lifting yourself up into the trailer.

And, really, if you can climb up into the cab you should be able to climb into the trailer.
    Left door shut so you can use that as a handhold, the DOT bumper has steps on the right side so you can step up.

And if you can't step up 12-15 inches...

6. nmill

nmill Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    With that said I do think a lot of people (shorter, larger, or any other minor disability) may have a problem. But a ladder should make it no problem. Or even just sweep it out at the dock if they aren’t nazis about letting you dispose of it there (or even letting you on the dock)

7. OhioScott

OhioScott Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2022
    Yeah well I can step up into the tractor with no problem but the lowest part of the trailer bumper (aka: the Mayfield bumper) is 22 inches from the ground to the bottom of the bar. Essentially someone needs to be able to climb a 2 foot step in a single move without assistance which for some people is a bit much. And this time of year that step could be covered with snow and ice which doesn't make it any safer. A 12 inch portable step or a helper strap would make it much safer (even for Tom Brady). :) BTW: Look up "Mayfield Bar" on google, interesting story on why that came to be).

8. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    I have a strap right inside the trailer and mostly use arm strength to get in and out since my knees are bad, although I can manage without it, very carefully using the door the same way. Only have 1 door open if you need to enter the trailer so you can pull yourself up with the other.

So, while it's a common company requirement to be able to enter a trailer, it's far from being something that will make the job impossible. Especially since the ADA wouldn't allow a company to refuse hiring somebody that was rruely disabled and thus unable to climb into a trailer without using other equipment like a ladder.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Pull a tanker.

10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    But you gotta climb on top sometimes, no?
    But in that vein, perhaps bulk might be a good fit.

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Mansfield Bar.

stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.