Any companies still have manual transmissions?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Harvest, Mar 14, 2023.

1. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    there are no companies anymore unless you go somewhere specialized in something . Just look at what trucks companies have, if it’s a plastic truck 99% of the time it’s gonna be an auto

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I enjoyed having a manual transmission when I had a starting issue at a fuel island. Was able to flag down a wrecker for a $75 pull start :)

I guess in a select-O-matic truck you’d be paying for a tow and checking into the nearest flea bag motel :)

I was able to keep rolling and get my meat load delivered.. and got to choose when and where to fix the starter problem.

Unfortunately it’s quite uncomfortable wearing flip flops with my mechanical clutch.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  5. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA
    “People can no longer learn how to shift”

That’s not what’s being said though,
    it’s people who DONT KNOW HOW TO SHIFT PROPERLY. That’s what’s being said.
    You can learn to shift properly, and many drivers do, but most trucking companies don’t want to take the chance that everyone they hire will be proficient in shifting, so to remove that liability they buy autoshift tractors. This takes the guesswork out of it.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Makes it super easy to drive too. Hadn't driven a truck in a couple years, hopped in the seat of an auto truck and away I went. Not much more difficult than driving a car, except being 12 feet tall and with 48 feet of trailer attached to the 5th wheel.

Veteran driver Thanks this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yeah automatics are like driving a car. It drastically opens up the pool of available potential new hires. Which with the overall poor working conditions and low pay typical in trucking this is one of those things that allows them to add more new suckers more easily as others disillusioned by it all quit and go to other industries.

8. DaTruckerMan

DaTruckerMan Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2017
    New Jersey
    Me personally…I trained on a manual…the company that hired me right out of school had manuals and yes part of it for me is that that’s what I envisioned when I think of a truck driver. A boot wearing..(NO SANDALS) Marlboro hanging out the mouth..and banging gears..lol For me I just feel like I’m in better control of the truck and it makes me feel like I’m one with the truck. Maybe it’s silly..but that’s just my 2 cents. Recently my company got rid of our old fleet of manuals and ushered in a new fleet of automatics. I have to admit it still taking me some time to get used to but autos aren’t bad. I’d still rather have a manual but until I buy my own truck I guess I’ll just have to tolerate the autos for now.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  9. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I prefer driving a manual. My drivers prefer driving a manual. My wallet prefers the automatic. This is a business, and we buy what is best for the business, unless there’s a very compelling reason to spend more money.

Veteran driver and rollin coal Thank this.
  10. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    After 3 years driving an auto Im still occasionally reaching around trying to find the gear shift.

If I’m being honest, after a couple days driving an auto, I didnt miss it at all.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. Pigdude

Pigdude Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2021
    Manuals are a lot of fun to drive, I love them, and I’m never in a million years giving up my auto to get back in one.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.