Any companies still run manual transmissions?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by I like manuals, Jun 21, 2021.

1. I like manuals

I like manuals Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2021
    The autos I'm driving are programmed for maximum fuel mileage so it short shifts and wont climb hills, it's really slow and there is no manual override.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I like manuals

I like manuals Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2021
    No ####

Numb Thanks this.
  4. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I got the 2016 1500 and while I'm okay with the fuel saving features, I'm definitely hunting down a manual after I get it paid off. I'd imagine there's some newer pickups out there that still have a manual option. I'm thinking Toyota or Nissan. I would say that I honestly couldn't drive a manual trans properly when I first started driving semis. But after the right coaching and watching the right videos on the subject, I got into the groove of shifting within a year or so of getting my CDL.

So during all my years of driving, I could say I got a total of seven years in a manual all together. While the last three have been in an auto. Can't control the choice much with your job. But when it comes to a personal vehicle, I'm putting in work until I find a stick again. Unless of course I break one of my legs or some other physical ailment that prevents clutching.

5. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Didn’t even have autos when I started trucking. They were designed for the panty wearing girly boys who started entering trucking 20 years ago

6. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    There seems to be an increasing trend, when it comes to the auto/manual debate-discussion that a segment of those that drive trucks with auto transmissions increasingly vent their dissatisfaction with those that prefer manual. I sense that it is bordering on hatred for those who prefer a manual.
    What is the reason for such hatred?

I like manuals and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Dang how long you been driving? Allison had on highway autos back in the early 70’s. And when my dad was alive he used to run with a couple “non girly old school truckers” who had an Allison in their A model KW’s.

8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Same thing happens when the clean and shiny versus a truck is just a tool debate. Fleets set their trucks up so that the guy who has never driven before can get in the truck and drive and achieve reasonable fuel economy. The result of that is poor performance because they have everything cut back so far it isn’t even funny. The drivers that are dissatisfied with that can’t do anything about it other than try and find a company with manual transmission, and they are becoming fewer and far between. So they start to justify in their mind why autos are superior and people who like to shift are stuck in the 1900’s. That brings out those guys to argue that you’re not a man if you drive an auto. And the Internet argument ensues.

Now me? I’ve been driving since April of 1997 and the truck I have on order has an auto in it. My curiosity got the best of me and I pulled the trigger on one. I’m hoping we have the parameters set decent and it’s enjoyable to drive. But if it’s not then that’s on me and I made a poor choice.

9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    They have a manual shift position so you can
    Shift the gears yourself.
    Everything else is you hate the company you work for.

Personally,I wouldn't ever touch another stick
    As long as I'm OTR.

I like manuals, JoeyJunk and jdchet Thank this.
  10. Hollywoodsaint

Hollywoodsaint Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2020
    Hollywood California
    Its NOT a macho thing dude, LMAO.....you have more control over your shifts with a stick shift....especially climbing a hill

If you want to drive an automatic I think primus makes a good 2 axle

I like manuals and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.