any company that pays 1099 and no ins

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by missingtheroad, Jan 9, 2023.

1. mwonch

mwonch Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Speaking about deaf ears...

Human traffickinig and smuggling also pay waaaaayyyy better. People do it for that reason alone. Is it legal?

Get it now?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Did you recently get screwed over by a 1099 company?

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  4. mwonch

mwonch Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    BINGO! They make way better money due to zero taxes coming out. Until tax time.

Most people do not realize they only pay HALF of FICA when on W-2, with employer paying the other half. No idea why this is done except to prevent a tax riot or few. With 1099, the worker is 100% responsible. Unless actually an IC with full ability to deduct everything entitled...yeah...dude will feel raped.

5. mwonch

mwonch Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    No, sir! Why does that matter? It's CLEARLY illegal. It's well-known. I simply do not understand why the IRS doesn't apply those rules.

6. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    I'm beginning to think these people like it..

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  7. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    I have spoken to many and they have gotten bad tax advice (usually from their employer). They will be fine for a while, but once the IRS catches on to their write-offs, they are going to be in a world of hurt. They all seem to think they can write off everything: personal vehicle, household expenses, groceries for the truck, and all of their clothes while still deducting per-diem. They don't realize that the per diem itself knocks off all food expenses, they can only write-off up to 400 sq ft of their home's area and must divide that rent or mortgage appropriately relative to the overall space, if anyone else is on that cable bill or using utilities, the write-off is limited to only the amount being used (face it, a truck driver will use a minimal amount of any of the household resources as he's gone 90% of the time), the personal vehicle expenses are 100% no, and the cell plan can only be deducted for the first line's expense.

Yeah, they will hurt bad when the IRS comes calling to audit their expenses and hits them with back taxes, fines for the illegal write-offs, and penalties for late payments. That's when you hear them on the radio giving testimony to the service that negotiates down IRS debt.

8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It don't really matter per se. It just seems to upset ya so I was curious about where the heat comes from. Some places have tried to enforce it. I think the rest of the country will eventually follow suit, but a lot of those companies do what they need to do cover their rear ends, such as make their drivers start a corporation and open a business account. Besides, the IRS is not going to go after those owners. As long as they are getting paid, nothing else matters.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  9. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I don’t know about if it’s illegal.Why do you believe being classified as an independent contractor is illegal?I learned a long time ago not to listen to truck stop lawyers.The tax’s aren’t dodged there shifted to the independent contractor he pays them.Don’t know how illegal it is people have been doing it since I’ve been trucking for over 25 years a lot of small owner operators do this because they simply can’t afford the cost that go along with employees it’s not a matter of screwing someone.Some prefer to work on a 1099 where there is no taxes being taken out they have control of all the money and deal with there. own taxes.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  10. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    If it keeps up the Feds will make the CA rule nationwide

JoeyJunk and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  11. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    I'm a little slow, or I missed something. What is the CA rule?

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.