any company that pays 1099 and no ins

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by missingtheroad, Jan 9, 2023.

1. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    The moment a single restriction is made, it is illegal. Forced dispatch? Can't just decide you don't feel like driving today? Can't park where you want? Can't modify the truck as you see fit? Can't remove the speed limiter? The moment a single one of those conditions are dictated, it is an illegal classification of an employee as a contractor.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    AB5

JoeyJunk and REO6205 Thank this.
  4. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    300 sq ft is the maximum and its written off at $5 a square foot. At least with the simple method.
    What is the simplified square footage method?
    Beginning with 2013 tax returns, the IRS began offering a simplified option for claiming the deduction. This new method uses a prescribed rate multiplied by the allowable square footage used in the home.

• For 2022, the prescribed rate is $5 per square foot with a maximum of 300 square feet.
    • If the office measures 150 square feet, for example, then the deduction would be $750 (150 x $5).
    • The space must still be dedicated to business activities.
    With either method, the qualification for the home office deduction is determined each year. Your eligibility may change from one year to the next.

As for your personal car, it USED to be (I can find if it is still this way or not) that if you were required to have a home office then any travel from home to anyplace you had to go to do your business (I was a realtor at the time, early 2000s) was deductible. So if you had a home office and parked your truck elsewhere, the mileage to and from your truck would be deductible. As I said, I dont know if its still that way or not. My truck is so close I dont worry about it.

5. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Perhaps this is one step closer to the answer of my question. I guess I'll have to rely on my friend Google to get me there:rolleyes:

JoeyJunk and InTooDeep Thank this.
  6. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  7. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    The issue is these guys are being told that they can write off the entirety of their personal vehicle expense, not just mileage to the truck. Payment, insurance, maintenance, repairs, fuel.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  8. mwonch

mwonch Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    And not too long after that went into effect, suddenly....freight was stuck on ships without enough transportation to get it all to market. Shortly after THAT...whining about a trucker shortage (again).

Elections have consequences. Will Cali ever learn that? LOL

kuzima93 Thanks this.
  9. mwonch

mwonch Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Are they being told that, though? Even financial illiterates logically (maybe) kinda know that they aren't using their personal vehicle to haul loads. I would bet they aren't even told that. I think they're shown what checks would be without taxes and they get lost in the money. Once the tax bill hits, they freak out and then...think since they make so much they can pay the debt with the same wages at the same place...until the next one hits (likely before the previous year's debt is paid off). Deeper into the hole they go. That 1099 company ends up with a literal wage slave who cannot leave OR jumps to another 1099 company just to stay afloat.

Even if most don't quite go THAT far in, the fact remains that if those companies can't do business legitimately they shouldn't be in business at all. 1099 used this way is far worse than a mega's Lease-Purchase scam. WAY worse. It boggles my mind that so many disagree and will defend such a company with "but...but...but...low margins!" BS

10. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    because they can

TB John and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    When was an O/O, my accountant told me I can deduct the standard Federal mileage rate for that particular year for the miles I drove my personal car for business purposes. Like to get parts etc. But I had to maintain a book that show the exact dates, miles driven and reason, in case the IRS ever needed proof. I did that one year and it just wasn't worth the hassle for the small amount of a deduction I actually got.

InTooDeep and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.