Any have a good aftermarket warranty ?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Brandon0928, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Brandon0928

Brandon0928 Light Load Member

May 14, 2022
    I think ordering new or buying used with a recent o/o at 600k is the best idea. They are great engines other than that. It’s almost impossible to get anything newer that will last longer with todays quality in parts

Volvod12dev Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Volvod12dev

Volvod12dev Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2022
    I appreciate the advice that’s probably what I will do.

Brandon0928 Thanks this.
  4. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I'd love to have a new truck but availability and price up here makes it impossible for me. I'm not working to support a new truck.
    That said I'd like a newer more comfortable truck but may just keep my Columbia or look for an older nicer truck to rebuild. I'd like my last truck to be a hood, I've missed my classic terribly, last 3 trucks were short nose. If I had it all to do again I'd still have it and just kept rebuilding it. SL320 3.jpg

Siinman and Volvod12dev Thank this.
  5. Volvod12dev

Volvod12dev Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2022
    Yep probably better we keep our older pre emissions trucks for now.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  6. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    I don't get how people are "these are great engines except the $30k overhaul it's going to need at 600,000 miles" in this thread. That makes them BAD engines people!

Volvod12dev Thanks this.
  7. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I didnt want to say that, but ya. And 30k wont do it. The X15 I saw was going to be 50k. Kit, head, turbo, injectors, labor.
    Nope. Not me.

Volvod12dev Thanks this.
  8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Man, they were only like 380 to 420k miles but was the ~2014 ISX with the carbon packing and cam shaft problems.

I’ve had 10 X15 efficiencies and they’ve been rock solid. Highest one I got to mileage wise was 435k and it’s been perfect. I do 25k oil and filter changes though which keeps them clean inside.

I still have that 435k one and put it into backup status for now. It was running coast to coast previous though.

As far as rebuild costs, I have no idea these days… everything has gone up so much in the last 5 to 7 yrs. As for an x15 with 600k miles and God knows it’s history? I would not do it but that goes for any engine.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  9. Tekna

Tekna Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Texas
    FWIW, it is well known that warranty doesn't pay out to shops to the extent a cash paying customer would. And because of this if you have warranty repair your likely going to be waiting at the shop longer than if you was paying out of pocket.

I've had this issue before despite my low deductible for the extended warranty the down time would've been cheaper to take it to shop and pay cash when you compare the time in shop and the cost of the extended warranty.

Hope this helps someone avoid the mistake I made with extended warranty purchase.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  10. HoundDog7

HoundDog7 Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2022
    Kansas
    You must have terrible luck. Sorry to hear that wow

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.