Any heavy tow operators here? Questions...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JReding, Mar 16, 2018.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Looking to change jobs and have a possible line on an old employer from way back in '93, Gene's Towing in Lakewood, WA.
    I love where I'm at right now, but the nights are taking a big toll on me health-wise, so I'm looking to switch back to days. The hard part is finding something for close to what I'm earning now, days and local, that's not LTL (been there, done that). That and not knowing how badly a violation will affect me...
    20180316_123042.png
    I still enjoy driving, and I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I think heavy tow operators would suit me just fine, as long as the owner is willing to look at me again.
    I'm just wondering if there's any mandatory training involved (certifications?) Or if it's typically just on-the-job training?
    There are aspects of the job that fascinate me, and I've subscribed to YouTuber Ron Pratt's channel (Midwest Truck Sales and Service).
    What can you operators tell me that could be useful to me?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
    My hat's off to you. The one time I got towed he had me wait in the cab while he was underneath in the snow disconnecting the drove shaft with traffic going by 5 feet from his legs. I told him afterwards 'They don't pay you enough to do this'. He smiled and said 'Oh yes they do'.

Grubby, stwik, Woodys and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Driving a Heavy Wrecker is a tough game!!! I did it for a few years and loved the work. It will take it's Toll on your body! Long hours and it never fails every time you sit down to a hot meal or go to step in the shower the beeper goes of...well the phone rings. I guess I'm showing my age. When I did it we were still using pagers! And like was said above... popping drive shafts in the rain is the worst! I didn't mind snow so much the rain was the worst! And nothing like a Trooper yelling to get his highway open while you're trying to work! I subscribe to Ron also and he is a pro. Have you ever watched Highway thru Hell? Sorry my post is all over the place I'm a little tired.

JReding Thanks this.
  5. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    You gonna be a heavy wrecker operator and think you're not gonna work nights?

6. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I'll work some nights, not consistently, I can live with that. He has several heavy operators, on a rotation. What's gotten to me is the night after night grind, with start times that vary from 5:00 pm to 9:30 pm. It can make for a very disrupted sleep pattern.

Woodys and BigBob410 Thank this.
  7. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I worked for this company before, and that's how we were dispatched. Pagers. It was my first one, I thought it was the coolest thing back then.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    A friend of mine drives a heavy-duty wrecker out of Sacramento.
    Lots of night work, weekends, holidays, and bad weather. Lots of pressure sometimes from CalTrans and CHP to get the road open. In a tanker wreck or other haz-mat they have to take great care not to make the situation worse.
    I think he's on call 24/7 with set days off.

JReding Thanks this.
  9. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, I'll have to see what they have to say. I'm not going to jump into it unless I can get guarantees in writing. That's one of the reasons I left after only four months back in '93. I worked seven days a week during those four months, with half of a Tuesday off (which I had to negotiate for). I heard awhile back that things are different now, with most of their drivers working shifts, and not nearly as much on call, but I'll find out when I talk to them. They have a pretty large fleet, I believe it's the biggest in the Puget Sound area at least, so they can probably afford to give their drivers adequate time off (according to FMCSA's SAFER website, they have 27 power units and 11 drivers as of last report).
    And they've always had a pretty sharp looking fleet...
    Screenshot_20180317-071711.jpg

Grubby and motocross25 Thank this.
  10. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I would never want to do that work, but I give mad props to them wrecker guys.

You know they make mad money because everyone I have asked just grins and says "Im not starving!" :cool::cool:

LoneCowboy and JReding Thank this.
  11. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I would like to add a 5th wheel wrecker to one of my trucks. It would be nice to tow one of my own or someone else once in a while

npok and JReding Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.