any ideas on how to do pullups otr? (thought bout mirrors but don't want to break)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Joe4167, Sep 19, 2011.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I did not bulk in my time, I was born three months early in the 60's and most of that time, at that low weight it's not viable. Not survivable. But here I am.

The first decade of my trucking consisted of loading 45000+ onto the floor and off again in the evening or before sunrise after a drive into say hunts point. And repeat the next day. On and on and on.

Sometimes I ate large amounts to keep up the fuel burn to do that work. I would go through 8000 calories in winter some days. Not a speck of overweight anywhere.

Now add automatic transmission, drop hook, hold steering wheel, marriage, quit smoking and so on added about 70 pounds. I had to learn to eat much less. And even less than that pending obesity several years ago. Just a little protein and less carbs. Enough to go about the day's needs without loss of power or mental confusion etc. If I had a big job coming up, I'll hit that big western omlette with everything and a stack of fries on gravy. That will and should be burned in that work by noon.

Fast forward to now. I don't dare eat like that in my 50's I have managed to get my BMI down to about the 19 range where it should be. But it's not easy. Im still carrying a bowling ball somewhere. That is what I am working on.

If I had to drive again (Which isnt happening) Im not sure what I will be eating on out there on the road it is likely I will be running two dutch ovens in the cab one for dinner and one for breakfast with something in there. That's about it.

Another problem is nutrition content in food. They pulled my complete blood panel last year in Detox at medical and found that I had no potassium and no B1 Vitamin. Both of those is on the desk used from time to time which improved my situation greatly. The B1 in particular that series of vitamin is I consider really vital. (Vitamin D and C is less of a concern with the Body mining my bones as I speak there is nothing I can do to rebuild them faster than it is being mined I'll cross that bridge when the fractures begin. But I aint quit yet. Im working on that.

Most people do not understand how much food is out there now without any nutritional value. They can literally shovel it until they pass out, but ultimately it's nothing in that food to extract in way of minerals, vitamins and so on. Our bodies require a range of 16 items daily and will mine itself to get the missing ones.

Any time you can reduce food intake to where you lose a little weight over time and stay under a Certain BMI for your height, weight etc you will be ok. Don't worry about that.

jon69 and DUNE-T Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    prolly ?? wtf?? lol

4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Got a permanent set up in my Volvo. MVIMG_20190801_170603.jpg MVIMG_20190801_170618.jpg

5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I’ve been thinking of this since I first got my Volvo. I’m going to just drill two 1.5” holes in the upper cabinets and run a bar across.

Thanks for the inspiration.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I am about 230lbs and I was afraid of doing just that, so my set up stays on the floor and it's only bolted to the cabinets for extra security

86scotty Thanks this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    The good thing about it, is everything can be bought at Home Depot or Lowe's. They cut and thread the pipes for you, so it's pretty easy to put it together

8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Oh wow, I didn't look close at your pic before. I thought it was just the u-bolts and a pipe across. I see the sides now. Very stout, good plan. I'm 200 but I'm gonna fool around with my idea first. If it doesn't work out for a pull up bar I can use an extra towel bar in here for drying out clothes when I get out in a storm.

DUNE-T Thanks this.
  9. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    At 6 foot 1, 182 lbs, and strong, I feel good about my shape, my job keeps me pretty active, and i make a point of stopping and getting out of the truck frequently for a little run or push ups etc. Screenshot_20190804-131236_Chrome.jpg

10. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    Ideal weight doesn't take muscle into account, it's denser then fat and thus weighs more for the same amount. It is a very inaccurate system. Most professional athletes are morbidly obese according to BMI standards.

Anyway, what kind of cab do you have? If it is a tall sleeper, maybe you could mount some 2x4s against the walls between the bed and cabinets and then put a heavy bar across the top. Would need to secure it all somehow (maybe additional 2x4s going to the back of the sleeper?) but it could give enough height for a proper pull-up as long as the upper bed stays folded up out of the way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.