Any Info about Heartland Express??

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by EaglesWay, Jan 5, 2007.

1. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    So .. Tucker... there is no news here... most people recognize that heartland is profitable but to use swift as a comparison is embarassing.

personally I would be insulted to have my company compared to them.

from a laymens point of view.. corporate profits dont always equate a good work enviroment.

as far as pay goes.. I have spoken with many heartland drivers who tell me current pay levels are down with the introduction of elogs.

I am still a bit baffled as to the purpose of the post. This is a forum for truck drivers not investment strategists.

and you are correct that purchasing stock in the company right now would be too risky. Many changes are about to takeplace. While I am sure these changes will be centered around profit they will have a negative impact on a few peoples lives.

I look at things from a drivers view only while understanding the need.for profit.

the impression I take from all this that the driver is viewed as nothing more than an instrument to be used to gain profit regardless of the effect. The driver can be easily replaced.

GreyHound Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Maybe he's Vic's partner.

4. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013

My thoughts exactly

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  5. Ralph4159

Ralph4159 Heavy Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Does anyone know what turnover rate Heartland has? I know investors may not care about that, but just curious. These corporations are run by very smart and millionaire CEO's, so I've often wondered if it is somehow more profitable to have high turnover. It's not like they don't know how to create a more "driver friendly" environment, but they choose deliberately not to. Somehow it must be more profitable to have high churn. I've never understood why that is. Swift is a good example with astronomical turnover. Yet, even though in debt, I think their gross revenues and account distribution dwarf most other trucking companies.

tow614 Thanks this.
  6. HappyHardCore

HappyHardCore Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Exactly.

Still, I'm sure they have a lower turn over rate than companies like Swift, JB Hunt, and Werner, due to their pay being higher.

I guess they figure if they pay their drivers more than the other companies, then they can abuse the drivers with lower turn over.

Ralph4159 Thanks this.
  7. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    They.dont really pay more... the cpm may be.a.little more but they pay short miles with below average miles driven per week.

when all is said and done they are in the same boat as other large carriers from a driver point of view.

The more driver friendly companies are.smaller fleets. 150 to 300 trucks or even smaller if benefits like insurance are not a necessity.

8. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

So true. The company I'm coming from was a very small regional with only 50 trucks. We were paid a percentage, not miles, but I computed the relationship between miles and money; if I had been paid by the mile, I would have made more than 49 cpm. And that was first-year pay. Subsequent years would have been more. I won't earn that much at Gordon for quite some time, if ever.

9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN

again, I don't work for Heartland

i thought it was a cool article that showed if you paid drivers more cents per mile, you get a higher caliber of driver and can still make a profit.
    If you want to hate, then hate

10. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    no hate intended.... apologies if I upset you....

I do agree that higher pay can bring a better quality of driver but there are many more factors to be considered...

to simply have a higher cpm but then turn around and pay short miles in effect negates the higher cpm..

that is deceptive imo...

HappyHardCore Thanks this.
  11. HappyHardCore

HappyHardCore Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Agree very much.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.