Any Info on Lisa Motor Lines

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by harleylady, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Johnny99

Johnny99 Johnny be Good

Nov 24, 2007
    Big Sandy Tenn
    I heard LISA was bought out by Funny Farm Express some years back.There was a news story in the mid 80's about a Lisa driver in southern Cal that went nuts and was running people off the road with the truck. The cops had to shoot him to stop him.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grinnbearit

Grinnbearit Bobtail Member

Alright everyone,

Cabhappy here has had the same experience that many of us have had getting into the trucking industry. The other half of the story is somewhere between the trainer's attitude and the trainee's attitude as well. Let's stop for a minute and think about this. You are in training for x amount of weeks or at LML, x number of miles. okay before you even get to that point the trainee has to feel comfortable on some level with you behind the wheel. This didn't happen on her case. Remember this is an individual basis here. The real goal here is to get your own truck and at that point you can do whatever you need to do to take care of YOUR logbook. Of course your driving school taught you one way. Lisa taught you another way. Did you just want someone to agree that cooking the books is wrong? Sure we all know that. But then we also know that low miles can be just as bad if not worse than no miles becaue you're making nothing and you're not at home. Everyone I know that works for Lisa as a driver have told me that they have no problem getting you home, just don't miss your fuel stop on the weekend and need to call them on the weekend because their staffed thin. I am not taking a side b/c I know of people that work in this industry for other companies and have really been screwed (CRL Lease purchase). What I am saying is there is a corporate side to trucking that likes and knows CYA very well and no company is perfect. I also didn't see anything about you not getting your training pay on time which tells me they got the important stuff right. Imagine everything you went through and not geting paid for two weeks. Don't give up on this industry yet because one left a bad taste in your mouth. You'll find your place

Best wishes

Grinn:biggrin_2552:

4. 2nd career

2nd career Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Mesquite,NV
    I'm waiting for Marine1775's reply...

5. Marinegreen1775

Marinegreen1775 Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    No I am not a recruiter. I am a driver. I have been with them for 2 months. If you look at my other posts I do not hide that fact.

Currently I am broke down. I am in a 100.00 dollar a night hotel getting 75.00 a day while my truck is repaired. Its not even really broke. I brought it in for a PM and it had a leak in the P/S gear box. Lisa sent me to a hotel and took care of the rest. Even ordered fuel for the reefer. It is at the dealership now. They have treated me well. I am comfortable and I am still make at least a little money.

I just like this company. I like the way they do business. To each their own. They sure do take care of us though!

6. Marinegreen1775

Marinegreen1775 Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I have been on the road running lots of miles, that is why it took so long to post something. I do not know who these "trainers" are but I will bet that they are not there anymore.

Listen, I have never said they were a perfect company. Read my posts. But I do like them. That I am sure you get by now. I am not sure what to say about your experience. I have been driving for a while now and have seen only 4 other company's.

They show pictures of accidents like I am sure most companies do to show how seriously you need to take this job. They do take saftey seriously. My truck is down because of a leak. A LEAK.

I have gotten home 3 times now in 2 months. Each for 3 days. That is more than enough for me.

Like I said before, every company has their own little problems and Lisa is not exempt from that. I am sorry you had a bad experience but I like it so far.

7. jbird

jbird Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2008
    omaha,ne
    Just curious if anyone knows what areas Lisa Motor Lines hires in?

8. Grinnbearit

Hey Marine

I'm of the same opinion as yours nothing is perfect. Going from a truck driver through the packed streets of Baghdad to the tight streets of Chicago and elsewhere was different but when I asked to get home, I got there. I'm still in training but already I realize that staying at home don't pay the bills when it's cpm time for me and I get my own truck. And breakdowns can be a killer when you really want to drive the miles. Maybe we'll cross paths one day up in hershey or something. Keep the rubber side down.

Grinnbearit

:biggrin_25511:

9. Grinnbearit

Should have no problems hiring you out of your area. We do get loads headed from North Platte,NE for meat. Love that 1-80 truck stop. Hate the -15 degree wind chill

10. ToiletDuck071

ToiletDuck071 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Snyder, TX
    I worked for Lisa in '03-'05 behind a desk. They do run nationwide, and they are refers. Everything from produce out West to swinging meat from the plains to Hershey's to beer out of Golden, CO & stuff all the way into Canada. The only dedicated guys I remember had been there 12+ years and were all pulling swinging meat.

They are part of Conwell Corporation, the parent company for FFE, American Eagle, & Nordic. Lisa falls under that umbrella as well. Lisa bought GW and still have a few of their trailers left. Lisa will at times pull FFE trailers and FFE will at times pull Lisa trailers.

I was appalled at some of the trainers they had. But that was a handfull. The rest were pretty good trainers. All do have to qualify to be a trainer, some get there earlier than a year if they have prior experience.

Their dispatch is by region. You are assigned a fleet manager, and get assigned a more permanent one after you've been there a while. Home time is good, just let them know in advance. They run mostly Freightliner Centuries, sometimes they try out T2000s or Internationals....or at least they did when I was there. They are self insured, and you'd have to be asleep to destroy a refer load anyways.

They've got people that have been there 25+ years, so it can't be all that bad. They just went through a management change & things are clicking along well from what I'm hearing. Safety is farmed out to FFE employees and if you have problems with someone trying to get you to cook your books, just visit with them & it will get ironed out FAST.

They hire mostly Texas, but I've seen them hire Florida, Washington, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arizona, New Mexico, California. That's where most of their freight is. They did have a team from FL, MI & NY when I was there. They even had a French Canadian there, too. They have one official local driver that delivers & loads & moves trailers out of their MAIN YARD: Fort Worth. They use FFE yards all over the country, too for trailers. Lots of no-touch freight, about 25% live load & 75% is pre-loaded waiting for you.

I think if you can keep your nose clean & take care of a truck & run miles (which is what we all say we want to do), you will do fine here. If you have any questions, just give me a shout!

Oh, and I'm not a recruiter. I run grain trucks in the TX Panhandle now.

Drop'n'Hook Thanks this.
  11. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    I worked for Lisa from 1999-2003 and I went through their CDL and driver training program. I had a great time working their. After a year and half I was a trainer. From what I can tell you is that some of the trainers their were crap, there are a lot of good ones too. I dont remember having to sign any paperwork saying that I was 100 % if a load went bad. the only time they would stick it too you on a load is if you did some dumb #### like picked up a load and did not start your reefer for the whole trip. They are not just going to take your money from you. As far as the equipment goes it's not bad at all...yea some of the trailers were crap. ( very few ) most of them were in good shape. the trucks were good also. I am sorry to hear that some had problems with Lisa and I hope you doing well now.
    Like I said I had a great time working their. Feel free to p/m me if you want more info.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.