Any Info On Prime Inc Flatbed Division?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by TEN4DISPATCH, Nov 2, 2007.

1. TEN4DISPATCH

TEN4DISPATCH Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2007
    BALTIMORE MD
    i just got my cdl and an ready to go skateboarding. Is this a good company to start a flatbed career with? How is the pay and how many miles do you avarage? The recruiter told me that drivers do go to canada buy she didnt say how often. Am ready to be on the road for three weeks at a time. Hometime is not important right now.Could someone shed some light on this companys`s treatment of drivers, pay and their training for newbies. prime drivers please help me out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gettin-by

gettin-by Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2007
    cassville, MO
    I can really only tell you one thing about prime. I am in the air force reserve and i talked to prime a while back (as i just live about 40 minutes from their terminal in springfield) and everything was go, go , go. They wanted me right now. I talked to them for about a week and then the day before i made up my mind for sure to go with them I asked them if being in the reserves would be a problem and he told me that he would get back to me later that day. That was the last i heard from them and when I called them to find out why they didn't call me back, i was told that they were not hiring in my area at that time. Personally, i am glad. I feel that if a company won't support their troops fighting for their freedom and protection, how much could I rely on them when I needed support as a driver for them........They may be a good company but that just doesn't sit right with me.

4. Steve & Lo

Steve & Lo Medium Load Member

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    They're a good company. They also have hundreds of Veterans(like myself) and Reservists working there. You would be hard pressed to find a company that cares more about their people. I run a reefer....but have several buddies that run Flatbeds....they're making good money and staying busy.

5. TEN4DISPATCH

Aug 14, 2007
    BALTIMORE MD
    They sent me an appication in the mail but am a little bit reluctant to fill it out. I already have my cdl but am just bieng cautious afer reading all this stuff on the net. How is the reefer div? Back when i was a yard jockey, i used to pre-cool refeers before backing them in to the docks but i`ve never been out on the road with them.

6. slick50

slick50 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2006
    McKinney, Texas
    I run flatbed with Prime, 2 years now. Check my past posts for detailed info. But, I would not run with Prime as my first gig; be a company driver first. Leasing a truck is starting a business, and you need some savvy in this business to succeed. Learn on a company truck. I can't comment on Primes's company drivers, don't know how they do business. Prime employees are first class, they are always helping me succeed. As for an earlier post about the reservist and wanting to run with Prime (or any trucking outfit), man you know nothing about trucking.

7. TEN4DISPATCH

Aug 14, 2007
    BALTIMORE MD
    My former school instructor told me to be company driver for three to four years b4 making any moves to an o/o. Slick, could you share some info on how hard you run,freight consistancy and region of operation. Am a real hard worker and i think that the flatbed division would be great for me. I hate letting other people control how my truck is loaded. I`ve been told by some of my coworkers that am paranoid bit i guess there is nothing wrong with bieng too safe.

8. slick50

slick50 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2006
    McKinney, Texas
    This is how I run: 160,000 miles a year average, $1.26 a mile average (loaded and empty) about $1.38 loaded. I get 72% of gross (the above figures are my cut, not the gross) running their trailers. My truck (not Prime's) truck payment $1500 a month, with $250 insurance. Worker comp a week $49, Qualcomm $18, weekly statement $15 (for taxes), dental $15, (no medical, my military retired takes care of that), I put away $200 a week for emergency fund, $200 a week for taxes. I get 6.35 mpg and run about 60 mph. I never refuse a load; every day you don't run you lose about $600. Some loads pay $2.00 a mile, some $1.00, just get it and go, then get something else.
    But, do not go with Prime (lease) your first time out. Be a company driver first ! I cannot emphasize that enough.... nuf said ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.