Any info on these Maryland Truckstops

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by navypoppop, Nov 16, 2023.

1. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Good afternoon drivers,

Sitting here with nothing to do on a rainy afternoon and starting remembering my driving days. I thought about some of the older truckstops that I used to frequent during my driving days through Maryland and was wondering if any of you have been at these or past them to see if they still exist.

1- New Transit Truck Stop 8400 Veterans Hwy. off I 97N Millersville, Md.
    Small truck stop that had fuel, scale, showers drivers lounge and store, free gravel parking lot and a fairly good restaurant. After it was bought by foreigners they started charging for parking and had run it down. Used as a parking lot for the local container haulers.

2- One Stop Truck Stop US 301S before the bridge into Virginia Newburg, Md.
    Another small truck stop that had a scale, fuel, store, small shop out back, free gravel parking lot and really good restaurant. Again sold to foreigners who had nothing nice to say to anyone especially their employees. They ran it into the ground, closed the restaurant, closed the fuel islands and started charging for parking. Last time through they had the fuel pumps open.

3- Trailways Truck Stop US 301 and Md. Hwy. 304 Centreville, Md.
    Another small truck stop that was dated but open 24/7. They had a free gravel parking lot, fuel island, a really good restaurant, small store and showers that were less than desirable. After Maryland built a new interchange on 301 it seems like the restaurant and showers were closed. The fuel pumps are still open and parking looks like a private company is in the lot.

Sorry for the boredom but after 44 years on the highway you get to remembering where you have been and wonder if any of them are still there. I only get to see some of the old ones when the wife and I are out in the 5th wheel and usually we are in the Southeast ( Fla., Ala., Miss., Tenn. Louis. Vir.) I hope that you all stay safe and have a wonderful upcoming Thanksgiving and holiday season.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    I stopped at number 2 a few years ago and had dinner ... absolutely the worst restaurant I've ever been in.

navypoppop Thanks this.
  4. navypoppop

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    It was many years ago when I last stopped here before they closed the restaurant. The food wasn't too bad that night and the waitress was very friendly and doing her best to handle the orders as she was the only one on that night. The owner, a foreigner, was being a total A hole and yelling and down grading her and a couple of drivers got up and confronted him. I haven't been back since.

5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    In the past 20+ years, certain ethnicities have seemed to have taken over the convenience store, small fuel stop, and smaller hotel/motel segment of the US economy. I have no problem with them owning businesses, but don't try to run them like you are still in southern asia.

6. navypoppop

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Well said buzzarddriver. That was my point exactly and I tried not to use any slurs to a particular nationality but you are so right. Happy Thanksgiving

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Newburg and Centerville are still there, but are shadows of what they used to be.

I don’t know about the one in Millersville. I haven’t even drove by it in some time.

navypoppop Thanks this.
  8. navypoppop

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Last time I went by in 2022 it was still there but looked like a junk yard. When I lived in Delaware the wife and I would stop in for a bite to eat on our way to BWI airport in Baltimore. I wouldn't set foot in it today because of their treatment of drivers vs. the almighty dollar.

Numb Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.