Any local jobs in VA?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Boyjr87, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Boyjr87

Boyjr87 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Rocky Mount NC
    Do any one know of any local jobs in the state of virginia, that don't require a year experience or better. I'm tired of being over the road, I have 5 months experience but would much rather be home at night instead of different states. If you know of any local jobs in the Hampton roads area like Newport News, Hampton , norfolk, Chesapeake etc.. Please let me know thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Try the fast food suppliers in the area if there are any , a quick google search will help there. Or , try the local beverage haulers/ beer companies...only thing with the local gigs, you trade being at home , for some hands-on labor....try the local LTL companies too....if they say you don't have enough road time , tell them you'll take a dock-job or a switchers job to get your foot in the door.

Boyjr87 and Go-Go Thank this.
  4. POINTDEXTER

POINTDEXTER Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Check Craigslist for port work (just check ads out thoroughly...avoid scams). There may be a owner operator who will let you drive his truck. I got my shot driving straight truck until I had a year. I started at Lowes, and then kept looking until I got another job driving 53ft van. You can find a job, but it's going to take some time. Just keep at it, constantly check Virginia pilot (career connection), indeed.com, simply hired. Once you have a year there are plenty of companies that will bring you on pulling containers. Port work has it's own drama and ups and downs, but in Hampton Roads there are tons of container carriers. Also look for regional jobs may be able to get home a night or two during week and probably on weekends. I got a job driving for a owner op right out of school, but took Lowes for the benefits. The opportunity is there just gotta find it!! Good Luck!!!

Boyjr87 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.