Any one ever quit owing the company

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by aradio13, Jan 27, 2016.

1. aradio13

aradio13 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I thought I had a good mentor as you say. A former coworker from another type of business it closed he got a severance package and bought a truck. I hadn't been there long enough to get one. But he went to work here 4 year ago and has made great money. I will say I wasn't prepared. In the last year I put right at 30k in this truck in repairs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    You bought the wrong truck. I disagree with the post that said all lease purchases are a scam. I successfully completed two lease purchases. ( one at a time). You have to be very careful selecting a company. Talk to owner/operators privately that are leased to the company. Read in these forums and find an honest company. There are some but not many. Keep your personal expenses down. Don't create any debt except business related. Don't save a penny to lose a dollar. I'm talking about preventive maintenance.

4. Gottfried

Gottfried Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Harrisburg, PA
    Hey man, what if you just wanna get out and nit into deeper debt? What happens when you just want out?

5. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    Get out or stay and work through it. Either way you could still end in bankruptcy

Gottfried Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    What company? Depends what the paper says that you signed. Most L/P you can walk away from as long as you return the truck to the terminal. Please do that anyway or you really F yourself. You will lose all monies you have in the truck, but it will be over.

When I first started trucking in '05 I did a Lease with CRE. Took me one week to figure out I was going to make $400 week after the truck & all expense, OR I had to team or train. What they did to keep me from leaving was give me team loads as a solo. Made a fortune for about 6 weeks, but couldn't keep driving like that. Never got caught. But was just matter of time. My body actually hurt.

Took the truck back said it was real, was fun, wasn't real fun. All was good. No bad credit or anything like that.

Gottfried and Knucklehead Thank this.
  7. Gottfried

Gottfried Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Harrisburg, PA
    I have it financed through a bank. Still one and a half years to finish paying for it but all I ever make is to pay for repairs. I've been working very hard just to stay afloat, with 2016 been so slow. Now it needs a reframe and that was the last thing that's going to put me out of business. Honestly I really don't care anymore if I can come out even through bankruptcy. I'm tired and sick of it and I won't say it was fun

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You should be able to turn it in for self repossession. If you could not make the payments the bank would repossess the truck. It will go down as defaulting on the loan Not been down that road, so I don't know how that all pans out.

If you don't mind......What kind of truck is it? Did you purchase it used with a lot of miles?

Gottfried Thanks this.
  9. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    Will your bank allow someone to assume your contract?

10. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on. It looks like you have created quite a bit of debt and bankruptcy will give you freedom only if you change your mindset otherwise just lease another truck and continue to accumulate additional day because it won't matter.

Financial freedom comes from deliberate choices if you decide to keep this truck and fix it you're just going to struggle as you have been. If you traded it in and get a new truck the new truck could also have a lot of problems Plus the upside down balance will be added to your new lease.

Gottfried Thanks this.
  11. Gottfried

Gottfried Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks a lot for your comments. The dealership scared the #### out of me telling me the engine was burned. So after reading some posts I figured what it needed, told them to do it and it worked. after 1000 miles no problem. Engine running as usual. But with that bad experience I guess I learned a lot.

TequilaSunrise and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.