Any one in the Computer Field looking to go truck driving????

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mannyvez, Sep 25, 2007.

1. truckerwannabenks

truckerwannabenks Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Manhattan, KS
    Here there seems to be more work than there are people, because they don't pay as much for positions I think. But I have a BS in Social Science, but they want you to have a BS in a Computer Related field. They are real adamant on that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bikerdad

Bikerdad Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Unless you have a passion for IT, it'll burn you out over time, simply because you have to keep learning new stuff in order to stay competitive. I've been in and out of IT for 20 years, and I just can't bring myself to pick up another book to learn a new language. I doubt very much that I can make as much driving a truck in the short term compared to the IT work, but... just can't stand the IT work anymore. Sigh...

The work environment is very different. Can't say whether or not you'll like it. One thing I can say is that the "outsourcing" isn't nearly as big of a problem for our IT workers, long term, as folks think. NOBODY that I've ever spoken with, whether dealing with overseas call centers, or with overseas development folks, has anything good to say about the results.

So, the thing to do is, if you like IT, go ahead, drive a truck, but keep your hand in the IT. Keep the magazines up. Get a Verizon Broadband card and a laptop so you can have 'Net access almost anywhere you go. Stay informed and work on your IT skills while tooling around the country, and keep your eyes out for opportunities. IF you are serious about it, you can make it work. You can drive a truck and then get back into IT with sharper skills. But you have to be serious about it.

4. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    One thing to consider is the cost of living while on the road. Life out here isn't cheap, and the cost is almost comparable to running two separate households on that income. Simply buying ONE meal per day can cost about $100 per week. Then you have to figure extras like laundry, coffee (or pop) if you are a caffine addict.
    Money for sat radio and/or sat TV, nationwide cell phone coverage, internet access while on the road, laundry, cigs (if you smoke), pet food if you take rover, cleaning supplies....etc, etc, etc....
    And remember the price you pay for ANYTHING in a truckstop is inflated as much as 600% over what you would pay elsewhere.
    So you can figure to subtract as much as $200 per week for living out here. And those costs are necessary no matter how many (or how little) miles you drive.

5. ddog

ddog Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Bradenton, fl

The IT field is constantly evolving, so reeducation is required to stay competitive. There is NO field now days that you can sit on what you have learned 'once' and learn no more. Even the truck drivers have had a revival of education in the last few years. They are better and safer drivers now. The ones who can master 'safety' will continue to become better and smarter drivers.

The way I see it is everyone needs at least several disciplines of which they are working a couple and learning at least one new one all the time to survive in this new world. If you can support a family on just one truck driving job constantly, then you are one of the very best and should be respected as such :biggrin_25514:

6. Emmi

Emmi Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Alma, Michigan
    I started repairing computers back in 1990. Attended college, received BS in Computer Information Systems, have my A+, MCP, MCSE certs. Worked at a local IPS/Voice company as a Network Admin for 10 years. Laid off after budget cuts and out sourcing in 2003 have not held a job in the Computer industry since. Have submitted hundreds of applications/resumes and had at least a hundred interviews but no job. I was beat out for the position by a younger person then myself. In the end I have lost everything I ever owned including my house. Finally I decided to do something I've wanted to do since I was a very little girl... Drive Truck... So at this point in my life I'm happy to leave the IT world behind and excited to start driving... :yes2557:

7. JonDC70

JonDC70 Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Watkinsville, GA
    What are you eating?!?

That sounds pretty pricey. What do you get for that kind of money?

8. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    I went out and got A+, N+ and MCSA. It wasn't until a year later that I realized that the IT ship had sailed in my neck of the woods 10 years ago.
    30-50 people vying for one job. Guys with Bachelor Degrees taking computers out of boxes for 12 dollars an hour.
    I wound up installing Fiber and Ethernet networks for a
    technical staffing company. I finally told em' to suck it and changed careers where I don't have to kiss anyone's ### quite as much as I was expected to in the IT field.

9. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Be careful bro. There are about 40 people looking for each IT job on average. I've seen guys with 15 years experience at IBM scanning bar codes on IT equipment for 15 dollars an hour. I personally know about a guy I used to work with (he was pulling cable too) He had a Bachelor Degree in Information Systems Management from the Milwaukee School of Engineering, a very reputable school. He applied for an entry level Admin job, doing scripting and stuff. He was competing against 50 other people. There are only a very small handful of cities in the U.S. where one might even hope to land an entry level job... I hope you have a shoe in somewhere. The IT ship has sailed my friend. I just got done doing the EXACT opposite (going from IT to trucking) of what your doing for the same reasons I've stated here...

10. mannyvez

mannyvez Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Riverside, California
    Mklangelo how is the trucking world been for you so far? How long have you been driving for? I've been thinking about changing careers, I've just have been trying to talk with people in the field before I make the change.
    Do you do OTR driving?

Manny

11. mannyvez

mannyvez Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Riverside, California
    Hi Emmi,

How is the trucking world been for you so far? How long have you been driving for? I've been thinking about changing careers, I've just have been trying to talk with people in the field before I make the change.
    Do you do OTR driving?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.