Any other good paying jobs?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mack-daddy, Jun 25, 2018.

1. mack-daddy

mack-daddy Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Besides food service? If you can do it again, and want to make a lot of money, what’s the best way to do it besides selling your body to food service? Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  4. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Mixer driver in some places.

I take home 1000-1200 a week. 50-55 hours.

I’m paid the least. Once I’m at full scale in a few years it’s 80-100k depending on how much I want to work.

It’s not back breaking.

rabbiporkchop and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Work at a cheese factory they pay about $20 per hour. And union mostly.

rabbiporkchop and already gone Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tankers
    Car hauling
    Personally, I wouldn't do car hauling because the work is too hard. Many drivers like it and make big bucks.

7. mack-daddy

mack-daddy Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Thanks for the replies! Fold_moiler, I looked into ready mix, but doesn’t it seem kinda stressful trying to find all these construction sites out in the middle of nowhere?

Chinatown, what’s wrong with car hauling? Do drivers fall off trying to load and unload cars on the dually? Are those dealership people hard to deal with?

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tankers is easy work and the money is really good. The tanker company where I worked, acquired a lot of former car hauler drivers that had to leave car hauling due to bad backs. Some of those guys were younger than me, yet they hobbled around like they are 90 years old.

Some drivers with Trimac Transportation are making over $100K. Takes two years to reach that.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    rabbiporkchop and Oldironfan Thank this.
  9. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    It’s stressful at first just because it’s a whole new world and you pull up to a pump truck pumping 400 yards that day with 10 other mixers staged after you to pour you gotta move quick.

But now it’s not really stressful for me at all. Finding the jobs in the boondocks are pretty easy. It’s the ones downtown you gotta be careful with. You might have three different pours on the same block. You don’t want to get mixed up it could get expensive quick. If you put 4500 pound sidewalk mix in a sky scraper colum that requires 9000 pound mix it’s gonna be a problem lol.

All our trucks have tablets with gps in them and we have radios with our own channel so you have 35 other drivers and two dispatchers right there to help you at all times. It’s a pretty well oiled machine.

We’re all union around here except one company big they still pay pretty close to our pay because otherwise no one would drive for them. They actually call our company and ask what we pay whenever our union contract gets renewed so they can bump theirs drivers pay up too.

Full scale here is 31 an hour, our contract is up next year so we get a raise then. Pay has never gone down. Idk where you are located. I know some places mixer doesn’t pay well at all but if it does In your area I'd say check it out and ask some drivers how they like it.

It’s pretty fun man, you don’t have to sit in the truck bored all day and you’re always doing something new and working with new people. If a contractor is a douche that’s ok because I’m gonna be done in 10 minutes to an hour and off to catch another load.

Another pro, no dot, not logs or none of that. If I gotta drive on a 3 ton road at 90k pounds i can do that. We go a lot of places trucks don’t normally go.

10. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I tried some crazy 3 car ramp operation pulled by a smaller Freigtliner. Lot's of weird halfassed directions from Dealerships or Auction sites. Kind of annoying when the cars on not necessarily loaded in order of delivery.

You might get to a site and the car being delivered is in the front, so you have to unload several cars to get to it and then reload them.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    Grocery store but in house. None of that aldi crap where they contract out and pay peanuts. Vons and Albertsons guys here make 100k plus union bennies. Ltl companies and other private fleets pay well as well

rabbiporkchop and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.