Any Starter Companies That Allow You To Bank Hometime?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by foadi, Aug 1, 2014.

1. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I see and hear a ton of what companies do and don't do. I never worried about taking extra time off. Companies are sad/angry to see you go, and happy to see you come back. If a company doesn't want to hire you based on your requirements, or terminates you for doing anything other than sitting in that slave box on wheels making peanuts, then they are not the company for you. There are plenty of places to work. Best advice I can give is be upfront about your needs. Put your foot down and speak up when your needs aren't being addressed. And be ready to walk away from a bad situation.

The last company I worked for was a great example. I was amazed at how many drivers I'd talk to at the terminal or on relays that had no idea what was going on. They didn't even understand the concept of non forced dispatch. Constantly complained about not getting enough home time or sleep. My answer was simple. Refuse the load if your tired, or take a few extra days off when your home. I'd bump into them later and some got it, others gave the company too much credit. That truck doesn't move without you. Set your terms, and find a company you can work with.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    The truck has to generate revenue,,,expect to turn it in if gone longer than 7 days. If you are gone for an extended time and don't make check calls with a status update you find your self listed as voluntary quit ! It usually takes a few yrs to earn a couple weeks off and most drivers save a week to use a day at a time around holidays or for personal appointments.

re forced dispatch: while you may be able to push off a couple loads cause you are tired or think you need extra home time,,,don't expect to be at the top of the list when handing out the good loads,,,come out of the house on a Tuesday,,,expect a day or two of shags,,,"to get you in position for that 600 mile run". Live loads and unloads too,,,,or,,,,go home !

4. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    The truck is definitely making money when the driver is making peanuts. If you need 7 days, turn the truck in, clean it out, and call them bags packed ready to go again. You'll probably find that same truck sitting at the terminal with your name on it. Probably parked in the same spot with your boot prints still on the floor mat.

The OP is asking about first year companies. He's already getting the bottom barrel loads. Refusing loads because the loads already late and doesn't have enough time to run safe/legal, or whatever the reason doesn't matter. Dispatchers and planners are unbiased on most occasions. They need to move the freight more than setting a rook straight for refusing a load, or taking a long weekend.

5. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Does not sound like you live in the hiring area but Maverick temperature control division (what most people call Reefer but Maverick does not want their drivers saying "I do reefer" lol) will allow unlimited banking of home time earning at 1 day per week. However, more than a week or so off you would likely have to turn truck in and get a new one when you get back. Good luck!

6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If you are willing to drop the truck off at a company's terminal every time and clean all your personal stuff out. The only real limitation would be how long does a company's give you off without any pay or benefits before they consider you as quitting. Plus when you come back you might have to wait for a open truck.

7. greenpea

greenpea Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2013
    I know Con-way use to do it/\. you can bank your day off. but you have to call to confirm it now. it was 3 years ago

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.