Any states to avoid during DOT week?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Kenworth6969, May 1, 2021.

1. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I have too. But I do know in NE that they are required to do so many inspections monthly and they must also do a certain #
    Of level 1. Inspection for profit maybe not
    But I have no doubt without really trying they can really make revenue. Look at some of this junk rolling up and down the roads. I am amazed at the crap these fly by night outfits from Chicago and other areas are running. Disturbing I like you keep or try to keep everything on the up and up. My family knows that the business gets what it needs before household. Trucks and trailers come before all else in regards to maintenance.
    Has to be.

bzinger and slow.rider Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Make sure your Logs are legal, all of your lights are functional, don't speed, don't tailgate, don't blow any stop signs or red lights, don't keep 6 months worth of scale tickets and McDonalds trash on your dashboard, and most importantly..........IF You are sent to the inspection lane at a scalehouse.......BE NICE.....act like an adult. Use the manners your Mother taught you.....Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank You Sir. You will soon be on your way.

TokyoJoe, bzinger, mustang190 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    If you pre-trip your equipment you should have no worries about the inspections. Your truck should be able to pass them anytime. I won't drive out of my way to avoid the scales. If your truck won't pass it's your fault fix it, stop crying about it.

5. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Agreed. Some small percent of DOT officers are undoubtedly in that line of work because they had a friend or relative who was hurt or killed by a runaway truck, and this became their motivation for finding a way to "make a difference" by getting more such potential problem trucks off the road. And certainly quite a few more of them know one of their own who carries this sort of life's calling too.

My rule of thumb is to treat them all as if they just might be one of those. Maybe, maybe not. They didn't bring it up, so there's nothing to apologize for, but their job and their interest in your truck is perfectly legitimate, understandable, and respectable.

We debated the 'outer shell,' the appearance of compliance, trying to limit the number of inspections. The next line of defense revolves around a chance to get a lower level inspection, and the moment of truth is when you react to them saying "we're going to be doing an inspection."

My theory is that sometimes the inspection level is already determined, but sometimes it is not - and you have no way of knowing whether it is or not, so you should assume that it is not. In those times when it is not, one of the biggest determining factors in what level of inspection you get, is how you react to that statement. And if you react 'acceptably,' you might be given a lower level inspection and be able to get on your way sooner.

Don't argue, let out one of those long exasperated sighs, tell them you're in a hurry, or let your eyes fill with fear. These reactions all indicate you might have something to hide. Your demeanor should be more or less the same as when you walk up to the shipping window at a big box warehouse and say you're here for pickup. They start asking for information, you start providing it. Keep thinking to yourself, "There's no trafficked aliens in my trailer, but if there is a mechanical problem that developed since this morning, I certainly want to know about it, because I don't want to run over a minivan full of kids. So let's do our jobs, treat each other decently, and move on, so I can deliver this load and you can free yourself up for a real problem truck."

Just my $0.02.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    TokyoJoe, kylefitzy, InTooDeep and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Mater64

Mater64 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2021
  7. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Well stated......Thank you.

8. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    They were out in force today on 71 & 76 in OH .

9. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Just cause its a 72 hr blitz doesnt mean thats a full workweek. Being an officer is much like the rest of the labor force, 40 hrs a week + overtime

bzinger Thanks this.
  10. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    No I followed a truck with a headlight and side marker lights out into scale at night during the blitz I got picked . I asked about the other guy and was told they chose who the computer randomly picks.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  11. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Law Enforcement does work 24/7. Not quite sure the point you are trying to make

slow.rider Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.