Any suggestions for dealing with back and neck problems caused by a bumpy ride?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Davidbenjamin, May 18, 2023.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A back brace helps and also, dont' carry anything in your back pockets. Some driver carry a wallet in their back pocket and that causes severe back problems.

Davidbenjamin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The less pounding the better. Short wheelbase day cabs and 6 wheelers will beat the hell out of your spine. The proper exercise and stretching can help. Chiropractor can help to a point, before serious damage is done. A D.O. is even better. Combined it can buy you time, and maybe even heal your back. Neglecting it, and continuing to do the same things that caused it will probably make it worse. Plenty Drivers have back problems and get treatment, like physical therapy, even Surgery and continue to Drive. Often hits you in your 30’s and then gets better for some reason. Stress has a lot to do with it. Done claim it’s the sole cause. I disagree. Definitely aggravates it by increased muscle tension. A proper diagnosis and treatment is in order. Do it before it gets worse. Before the only choice is Surgery to eliminate excruciating pain. Been there, had a disc removed 25 years ago. Still Driving. I try to avoid things that cause damage, like lifting real heavy objects, jumping off docks or Trailers. Common sense things. I also quit Driving rough riding Trucks, bought my own. The Trucks along with heavy lifting caused my problems.

4. Greamreaper

Greamreaper Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Well try to keep the bones from jumping. Keep the seat lowest on the ground. Less air less jump. Aired up seats jump the bones.

5. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Make sure you have nothing in your back pockets and your seat is adjusted so your ### is about even with your knees,

is it air ride? You don’t know the meaning of back pain until you sit in a Mack for 8 hours

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  6. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I’d have someone check the shock absorbers. Even a daycab shouldn’t screw you up too bad. My truck was riding really hard, turned out it needed new shocks.

7. jdimes

jdimes Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2011
    somewhere, usa
    Get a purple pillow from Amazon or Love’s get the thickest one available it might not solve the problem but I can guarantee it will help. Like an extra shock absorber for the glutes lol

8. Bozwik

Bozwik Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Mars, USA
    28E2C189-4382-4BB2-A585-D8E79467F0BF.jpeg
    A seat cushion like this doesn't put any stress on your spine.

silverspur Thanks this.
  9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I found lumbar support really helped me. Plus adjusting the seat back so that I sat up straight was important too.

Dennixx and silverspur Thank this.
  10. Seth0194

Seth0194 Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2023
    North Florida
    Back brace and seat cover that will help your back. Can find them on Amazon.

11. Twistin' throttles

Twistin' throttles Light Load Member

May 23, 2018
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    you mean to tell me it's the trucks? I thought I was just getting old.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.