Any Time to Enjoy Life on the Road with Team Linehaul?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by insipidtoast, Mar 5, 2023.

1. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    With OTR there was always a chance to trip plan some nice jogs through parks. For example, my wife and I used to stop at the rest area on I-70 in Dotsero, CO and go on a hike up in the mountains for a couple hours before starting the day. That was solo OTR, but I imagine team OTR you could also find find stuff to do when awake time schedules overlap. In solo OTR, every week there were moments where the schedule was flexible and you could trip plan around such points of interest. In linehaul is that pretty much out of the question? Like if you stop for more than an hour they start whipping you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    HA! Well, I'll tell ya', it's not a vacation. You have your terms mixed up. Linehaul is generally the same trip over the same roads night after night with very little variation. Many times linehaul is timed specific, there are drivers waiting for your freight, and the boss knows how long that trip should take. What you describe, could happen on an OTR setting, but many times too, most scenic places have no room for trucks, and generally, an "out of route" detour is looked down upon. Bobtailing, if allowed, is a different story, although, I doubt the boss would like 400 miles bobtailing. Now, if it's YOUR truck, then yes, I would certainly do an outside trip bobtail, but getting off the big road in a T/T is a nightmare waiting to happen.

insipidtoast and jmz Thank this.
  4. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    it really depends on the routes you are doing. if you tell them you want extra time for that kind of stuff they may assign you routes that give you extra time, just tell them what makes you happier and they offer it to you. it's not about making everyone miserable.

even in ltl they could modify your routes, maybe give you less miles routes but more window of time for stuff like that, just make sure to tell them it in advance so they know. i see it possible.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Prstone50 and insipidtoast Thank this.
  5. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    We hardly went out of route. It's pretty simple. You can look up all the stops on your route and see where the nice areas are. We like to hike and go for runs, so we looked for truckstops that were located near big parks. In TN, there is a truckstop just across the street from Parker's Crossroads battlefield, which has some very extensive walking paths. In MN there was a nice rest area (on a highway, not interstate) that had a pretty big trail network. The rest area on I-70 in CO was right next to this very long trail in the mountains. So long, that we never figured out how far it went. Del Rio, TX has a nice creek that flows through a park, which we swam in many times when on a layover down there. One time we even took some biodegradable soap and had ourselves a bath in it. Just little things like that. Of course, If you were hauling doubles your options would be much more limited. That was the benefit to otr.

With doubles though, since you know you're going to be at certain terminals all the time, you could get a gym membership in the town with the terminal and bobtail there on PC miles. Which ltl companies would allow this? Do those companies let you live in the truck? That level of consistency would be nice compared to otr.

Prstone50 and 201 Thank this.
  6. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    We didn’t stop when I did it. Ran about 7k from Sun-6pm to Friday-6am. We switched out same places and took shower daily upon afternoon switch out. Never had time for nothing but driving.

Speedy356 and insipidtoast Thank this.
  7. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    So you fasted from Sunday to Friday?

8. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Teams are basically full-time expeditors. What you’re wanting to do isn’t conducive to how dedicated linehaul operations work. Teams are tools that get used to their maximum capability, during their work cycle.

Speedy356 and gentleroger Thank this.
  9. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    So what's the longest they let you park the truck?

10. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    The operation I’m familiar with give ~48hrs, between 5 day dispatches.

11. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    In that case the question would be how long can the truck be stopped during that 5-day period? I don't get those companies. Would they really be against the idea of a team grabbing another quick out and back load for the last two days of the week?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.