Any truth to this for 2020 trucks ?? Mandated Crash detection system?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by HD_Renegade, Dec 12, 2018.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I have those systems and it sucks. At interstate speeds you have to jump out in the passing lane about 500 feet (or roughly 5 truck lengths) before the slower vehicle or you have to keep you foot on the "gas pedal" until a more reasonable distance before getting into the "cellphone lane."

Depending on what speed your truck is governed at these systems make life miserable for everybody. Say your truck is governed at 65 mph (or insert your speed here) you will notice about 50% of other trucks are set at 2 mph slower than you. You will constantly have to decide do I follow this vehicle until one of us exits or do I spend 220 seconds passing that person. Whatever choice you make, you set yourself up to either follow vehicles that even slower than the one you are following, because those drivers will not follow anyone slower than them for more than 5 feet. Or you will be trapped behind a much slower vehicle while the driver that is 1 mph than you passes you over the next 8-10 miles. This 8-10 mile passer will also cause a steel wall of other vehicles to pile up and block the left lane while the string SLOWLY passes you.

My truck is set at a speed in MPH that is about 1.5 RCHs (ask a mechanic what an RCH is. It's an extremely fine unit of measure) faster than the Canadian trucks with speed-limiters measured in kilometers per hour or bushels per fortnight or whatever they use up there running from polar bears. Luckily I spent the last 20 years in a governed truck on the same route for years at a time. I developed the ability to take advantage of local knowledge of climbs and descents plus my speed differential with other slow trucks to pass at the point that shortened the experience. Most newbies just go ahead and take 8-15 miles to pass another truck which is 0.01 mph slower than them. It'e very important they get to the fuel pumps and take their 10 hour break before anyone else.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Sure the megas are seeing big reductions in crashes... But who are the ones we always see in the ditch in WY, MT, or any other place when the snow flies and ice prevails??? No way I will EVER drive a tractor trailer with an auto braking system... Auto throttle let off I could handle, but not auto braking. Last thing I want is for that #### thing to romp on the brakes in a blizzard on Elk Mt. in WY (or Bozeman Pass in MT, or any other nasty stretch of road) because an elk or deer suddenly decides to jump infront of me.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    How good does that lane departure thing work on wet or snowed roads? When the human eye can't see the lines

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am my own avoidance system. I don't know, dozens of times maybe.

Supposing I did not work well doing that. Or a computer filling the truck with alarms as it decides to do something.

Car Commercials are really pushing it. In a variety of ways.

If they really want to prove to me that those things know the difference between a idiot crossing 4 lanes from the left greedily grabbing the ramp 5 inches in front of your bumper and maybe even get tapped. OR you want to establish a classic insurance scam by braking a car in the lane I am in closer than the distance you need to stop.

I might have to tell the court the computer in my truck chose to kill them rather than evade to the side taking out a school bus with 50 kids. (Why would we be passing a school bus in a governed truck would elicit a whole separate day or two of arguments.

If I am not truly a professional driver in a computer packed POS beeper alarmed tractor like a christmas tree then I don't plan on pretending to be one in the newer trucks. The losses in drivers will be compatible to the 1990 days just before the CDL was mandated.

Im pretty sure all those losses will more easily be replaced by a generation of truckers that I would consider not sufficiently taught or trained to do this job well. Absolute safety for these would be staying in the company yard as a yard jockey.

6. 22dragoo

22dragoo Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Oklahoma City
    They have those in Houston now. Look it up

Bakerman Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The zoning for it got denied. Mostly because he lied on the zoning request change on what the business would have been.

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    and they will also have automatic butt wipers, and automatic toe jam removers, and automatic naval lint pullers.....

they can have all the automatic bullcrap they want, that does not mean that all trucks will be replaced anytime too soon. which is good, that'll give the dummies that buy those new trucks with all that crap, can spend time at the dealerships, garages or on the side of the road when something goes kafhooey....

Coover Thanks this.
  9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    It doesn’t work in snow. And if the roads are real wet and a lot of glare it doesn’t detect the lines

Dan.S Thanks this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Did you know that the sex robots are one of the greatest fears to the manhating sweathogs? They are against the ring girls, supermodels, they're against Vanna White, they're getting the race queens/grid girls banned from FormulaOne, and they will probably be after Hooters and TwinPeaks, and cheerleaders at sporting events.

But the sex robot scares them more than anything.

If they hate you and Peter so much, why do they care so much about the adventures of Peter? They want control of Peter! They know that you probably personally think the idea of a sex doll is gross, but Peter, adventurous as he is, if his only choices are sex doll and 2 legged ugly foul mouthed hairless buffalo, Peter will say, "Power up that robot!"

It will be easier to perfect the sex robot than it will for the buffarilla to lose weight and develop a pleasant attitude.

Feedman and shogun Thank this.
  11. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Well, since you no longer hold a CDL, you don't have to "pretend to be a professional driver" in a newer truck, since you can't legally drive it.

Feedman and ZVar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.