Any UK truckers here that moved to Canada?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by 00Gambit, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Ol'Shusquatch

Ol'Shusquatch Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2019
    BC Interior
    Right on, Moosomin is the one, :). Too bad Climax isn't wasn't mentioned.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
  4. The Kraut

The Kraut Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Land of Enchantment
  5. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Curious to know if you have a plan for vehicle and/or lodging.
    Rent a car, buy a car, apartment, B&B's, motels, hotels, hostels, just wing it and wander around, see where you wind up?

I don't think theres more than a few feet of pavement I haven't driven on the prairie provinces and 4 or 5 towns that I haven't driven through, delivered to or partied in when I was a younger man.
    (maybe a little exaggerated, but not by much)

I can give you a few tips concerning............(old age brain fart, searching for words).............., regional flavours, attitudes, cultures, the arts, music scenes, culinary concerns and preferences, type of geography, scenery, amenities, conveniences, other personal plusses and minuses that may be on your list of yay's and nay's.

Perhaps you're an avid adventurer, woodsman, fisherman, off road cyclist, musician, other?
    (all of the above for me)

6. 00Gambit

00Gambit Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2020
    I'll figure out all the finer details relating to hobbies, interests and attractions once I'm actually in Canada and working, plenty of time for that stuff.

As for preparations, I've done my research. The plan is to arrive at James Armstrong airport, take the shuttle which goes very close to a local hotel, perhaps the Victoria Inn which is on Wellington Avenue, close to the airport and close to the Enterprise car hire service where I'll hire a car. Stay there for about 2 weeks while I get myself settled and then either book an airbnb for 2 months while I do my MELT course or look for short term rent on kijiji but I'm not sure landlords will be too keen on renting to someone who just landed, unless I pay the full period of rent up front or something.

Once I get my CDL then I can start approaching employers who will A) know that I'm serious as I've paid for the training out of my own pocket and B) I'm actually in the country so can attend interviews. Then hopefully I get a formal offer of employment so I can then fly back to the UK while the employer does the LMIA, files all the paperwork etc (can take several months from my understanding).

Then assuming everything has gone to plan up until this point, I'll fly out and start working in the beautiful country that is Canada! It's a long road ahead with a lot of hoops to jump through but I'm excited about it. 10 years ago I never would have dreamt about making such a life changing decision but now I cannot think of a single reason to stay in the UK anymore, gods honest truth.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    You have your act together.
    From the airport you're only a mile or two from the majority of the trucking companies in the city and within walking distance of Bison.
    Not suggesting you go there, it's just really close to the airport.

If you arrive before the snow fly's It would probably be just as easy, (maybe easier), to explore that area on a bicycle from your hotel and avoid traffic by using the side streets.

This area is where most of the trucking companies in Wpg are, from Omand's Creek to North Inkster industrial areas, not all but the majority.
    Google Maps
    Zoom out a bit, you could walk there in about half an hour from the airport.
    (why do I think you already know this)

8. 00Gambit

00Gambit Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Haha I did already know this but appreciate the pointer. The school I'm looking at going with is Buffalo driver training which is in that area you mentioned, just north of the airport and I've emailed them already just to confirm they allow tourists (non working visa applicants) to enrol and they do.

I'm planning to do my training in spring next year so I can avoid most of the winter weather, it only makes sense. I have a feeling my first Canadian winter will be a brutal reality check though but a bit of wind and snow never kept me down :cool:

9. Jerry B

Jerry B Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Hi 00Gambit,
    I'm a Brit living in Alberta Western Canada. I've been in trucking for over 40 years. I came over with the family in 2008. I came over on a Temporary Foreign Workers permit and drove Long Haul Canada and US for Kindersley/Seimens Group. Before you book into a training school for a Canadian Class 1/AZ licence I would recommend you contact some of the bigger transport companies and tell them you want to come to drive and live in Canada. They have been actively recruiting English speaking drivers for at least 15 years. They may put you through and pay for all the training. The Canadian Government state that Canada is about 25,000 truck drivers short of what is needed. That is not to say there isn't enough Class 1/AZ licence holders because there are thousands of people with the correct licence, they just don't want to drive truck. A lot of the reason for this is because of the way long haul drivers are treated. One thing that i found very different was that most long haul truck drivers get paid by the mile currently about 0.50 cents give or take. If you are dispatched on a 2,000 kilometer trip, it sounds good. Problem I found that being able to keep the truck moving and earning was next to impossible. A lot of companies are not very good at this . For instance, I had a trip from Edmonton, Alberta to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, to Salt Lake Utah. Good trip, a lot of kilometers. Then I sat in Salt Lake waiting for a return load to Canada for two days with no pay. I would be away from home for about 3 weeks at a time. You have to be really knowledgeable on what the regulations for commercial transport are because a lot of Dispatchers will take advantage of you. One Dispatcher told me outright that I had to be "creative" with the Driver Hours of Service and Log Books. All that being said, moving to Canada has been the best thing myself and my family ever did. Like Europe, Canada is being slammed with the COVID-19, aside from that we love it. Over the last 5 years I have moved into commercial transport training and consulting and regulation auditing for the Alberta Government. . Long post reply as I have 12 years experience of what your planning to do. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2020
    Reason for edit: Email address
  10. Ol'Shusquatch

Ol'Shusquatch Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2019
    BC Interior
    Hello JB. Have watched this thread as it unfolded and am glad someone who has lived it, came along to offer the facts. It is easy to get glassy eyed and hear the recruiters and everyone sugar coat it all. Think about all those wide open spaces and endless miles of open road. Then get here and go through it, while reality sets in, is another matter. You had a family to be concerned about and support, while through it. You went with a company that said they'd look after you. I would believe you found that the company looked after themselves first. Such are the woes of an OTR driver here.
    Then we have the situation with deteriorating support for guys on the road. Fuel is available, but food fit for humans and a good place to rest, well you know. It was mentioned in another thread this week.
    Enjoyed the story of that rounder and trying to make a dollar. Can you tell us how you did through your first winter? Also good to hear you have survived and progressed in another related area. A little late but Welcome to Canada!

11. Jerry B

Jerry B Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2020

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.