Any Volvo O-O's (780 class) running an I-Shift?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by STexan, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    You're not really a driver are you??? Your posts seem to come from a wanna be not a actual truck driver. Because if you are you are really very poorly informed.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Stexan,
    I bought this truck new in June 2007, the D13 motor was new, the DPF technology new , and I had problems first year with emission sensors, injector cups but Volvo fixed it with a series of upgrades; I wouldn't recommend buying new motors like the Paccar, let them fix the glitches and try after 2 years;
    This D13 is maybe the best truck motor on fuel economy today ,maybe I'm lucky but for me is reliable also; plenty of power and torque ; I can't talk about I-shift, because I have a 13 Eaton manual original ; imo the best manual transmission, still working ok; the only $$ I spent on it was 3 oil changes; I don't want to offend any I-shift owners, but I personally had a bad experience with my last Volvo 770/2001 automatic, wasted lots of $$; well the I-shift new ones are way better; IMO for an O/O if you want to keep the truck after the transmission goes out of warranty is risky to buy automatic, I would take manual, are cheap and can be replaced in any shop; I know an O/O with busted I-shift out of warranty paid 23,000$ for new one; more expensive than an motor in frame.
    I have 1,282,000 miles Volvo 780, 2008 original Volvo D13 , still running ok; my last week mpg
    from north of Toronto to Laredo, TX light 14,000lbs in the box; But after dozens of pump to pump measurements, the dash mpg can be off from 0.4 to +0.2 mpg;
    But I'm limited to 64.5MPH(Ontario law) , using synthetic oil only and here at Celadon they have all trailers with aerodynamic skirts,;
    View attachment 65558

Coming back, Laredo to east Ontario,70,000 lbs gw;

v9OV1C9.jpg

Texas, last week; testing my new phone camera :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2014
    Elroythekid and GITRDUN45 Thank this.
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Johny41
    A correction because your info is not accurate.
    The Paccar engine is roughly the same age as the D13.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  5. magnum2

magnum2 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2014
    ok, mate, educate me. Tell me what engine manufacturer, of these 3: cat-pre emissions, cummins, Detroit, make trucks and their bodies?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  6. Balkanian

Balkanian Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2014
    I don't see any truck made in USA {or better say made in Mexico} with engine and automatic transmission built by the same manufacturer, Volvo is the only company that actually offer full automatic transmission built by Volvo and made to fit with Volvo engine, ISX or anything else will have Eaton, Allison etc....made to fit on any engine in USA, yes maybe good for repairs but do you set yourself to fail before you even started is that philosophy that we need to follow???

7. Balkanian

Balkanian Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Maxxforce engine is made by MAN - German Company for diesel engines, best in the world, International just changed parts from Germany made to Mexico made and that was the good American way to build disaster.

8. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Really?
    So how about Freightliner?
    Owned by MB
    With a DD engine.............owned by MB.
    And they offer " Automated Manual which is supect is actually the MB transmission sold under the Detroit name.
    • Detroit™ DT12[SUP]®[/SUP] 12 speed"

Which you can buy with Detroit axles.

So in short you can buy a Freightliner with all components made and build in house.

9. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Maxxforce was a disaster because they tried to go without DEF and do it by DPF and EGR only. Every other engine manufacturer went with LESS EGR AND DPF and added the DEF. had nothing to do with Mexico?? They couldn't make the engines clean enough their way, because if the high demand on the EGR AND DPF they ran into MAJOR problems with them both. They ran out if "credits" that let them build these engines and instead of running back to cummins sooner buried their heads in the sand and paid a fine for ever engine they sold. Cost them millions, cost the boss his job, they eventually went back to cummins AND they are going to add DEF to the maxxforce like everybody else did.

10. magnum2

magnum2 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Let's try to stay on topic. Volvo's do not have the driptroit nor lowforce.

KB3MMX and GITRDUN45 Thank this.
  11. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Driptroit? Lowforce? How old are you?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.