Anybody have a million mile cascadia

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by kendall, Apr 28, 2017.

1. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    have you changed original injectors?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Haven't done anything to it but its a Cummins and having an inframe done this winter .

4. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Good deal

That's common with the ISX , 600-800K and it's time to in frame.

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    ok. why you want do inframe? high oil consumption? my friends have Volvos with cm2350 engines. non of them had big problems. only nox sensors were changed. they have 650-700k miles on units.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I'd imagine so, it's so common.
    Curious how the long term will be as more of the older ISX motors get in framed W/ the redesigned piston set W/ carbon scraper ring... Should be much better life.

7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    wouldn't do inframe if no excessive oil consumption and low compression. at 700k I would replace all injectors.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    not all engines have carbon packing issues.

CrazyTrucker512 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Yes, agreed.. injectors are so often overlooked and then catastrophic damage results from something that could be avoided with new that gets better mpg and better power... Win win

Agreed. Not all, ...just a large amount it caused premature need to rebuild.

mhyn Thanks this.
  10. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    does an injector going bad always wreck other stuff? i had a one time issue, one morning this past winter (had been running Chicago-Detroit-PA for 2 weeks where it didn't get above freezing for a good 13 days, then this happened in Louisiana at about 78 degrees, the first day back above freezing temps in two weeks), 75k on the truck and went to crank it, and it sounded like it was choking, like it couldn't figure out when to fire and when to breathe in, after it cranked over it was running without the starter but sounded like it was about to rip itself to pieces, like it was fighting itself. immediately turned it off and proceeded to concentrate on not freaking out. it gave an error code about something about "cold air intake value fault" i think. turned the key back on to let it do it's startup sequence, so maybe the computer could run it's scans and figure out where all it's pistons are, then turned it off again. turned the key on again, let it R2D2 itself up again, turned the power back off. 3rd time i cranked it up, it started up fine, and didn't ever have a problem after that since then. The engine check light went off after a few days and i haven't had any sputtering since then. does that sound like an injector fault?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Could be.... Injectors can wreak havoc on a diesel. They can burn holes through pistons, melt pistons, wash down cylinders, roast turbos, hydrolock motors, crack plug or destroy DPFs, crack EGR coolers, plug egr coolers, etc etc etc

mhyn and shatteredsquare Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.