Anybody have aerodynamic Flow Below wheel covers and middle piece?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Shotgun94, Sep 1, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Animals? HA.

Ive taken out labs (Retrievers the size and weight almost a human) As long you have a steel bumper to make a solid instakill combined with the body bouncing off to the side THUMP and it's over. IF you have a areodyanmic stupid rubber bumper it's gonna bounce the lab under the engine block and then proceed to chop it up with the spinning shaft to smear the guts, bones and gore all over from your transmission all the way back to your ICC Bumper. If you are in a pouring rain storm for 20 miles you will wash most all of it off.

Buy a steel bumper and be done with it. Ive killed probably hundred or more animals in my time out there. Usually THUMP and I see 4 paws or hooves flying off via the pax window and done. The worst kills are those in trucks WITHOUT a steel bumper. That last rubber front truck killing a lab under me with a yelp telling me it did suffer while being chopped and spun even today Ive not been able to not mourn that animal kill because the company did not have a dagum steel bumper.

What you DO NOT want is deer, MOOSE in particular and NEVER go up against a BULL in the Red River Valley between Oklahoma and Texas. Those Bulls are as big as a Ford Taurus, color grey perfect match blend in to the pavement at night you will never see those 2500 pound truck wreckers before they put YOU into the hospital. What you DO in that area of the USA at night is find a CAR, get behind that car with room to stop and follow up. IF the car smashed then they saved YOU from totaling your truck against the bull.

If you think anything at all for me your driver, you will install a bull rack on front of my issued tractor trailer. That steel will give you a fighting chance to save your precious 1200.

You think you want to save 1200 dollars a year on freaking fuel milage. And the kit costs 1800? HA. *Spits... what a waste. A GOOD driver giving you 8 miles to gallon lightfoot on a high horse engine (High horse = less work, literally less fuel burn per hour upgrade) will save you a bunch of money.

A high horse engine will run you upgrade with less fuel per hour. I once put a ungoverned 350 Kitty Cat with 80000 sharp and 60 gallons left in the one fuel tank with ATS against a 24%-25% grade in Vermont. 3 miles long.

I burnt 30 gallons in one hour and 20 minutes on that whole pull in low gear flat out. If there was a failure anywhere in that entire truck mechanically that thing would have to be put into the ditch by me with a satellite call FOR YOU to fetch a tow truck to me. Otherwise I learn how to drive backwards around cars and trucks coming up behind me. Frankly it's not worthy the education. Several someones will be killed.

Truck told me I had 26 gallons left at the top. I had 40 miles of vermont left and a possibility of fuel another 60 past that in Mass. NH was out of the picture. Then what? MAINE? Remember it's a single 145 gallon tank.

I fueled in Maine. Then doubled back west through NH. If I had 300 gallons with ATS I would not worry about fuel until at least Emilra NY or Binghampton.

Such tactical problems can destroy your precious fuel savings on your glorious kit. Follow me?

Your %Increase would just be a wet dream a illusion burnt by the hot sun and sand of a land that is dry and harsh. It will easily be burnt up no savings and more expenses. Doubling back, massive grades and so on. (That's what they get for issuing a #### truck with a 350 kitty instead of a 550 one....)

I can go on. But I think this is quite enough.

#wishfulthinking Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    What's it matter how many trucks you have?

The side skirts are good for .25 to .4 mpg. Depends how far up you run your tandems. The sail in the wind idea is not true. They are worth the money.

The flow below system I have heard approximately similar cost and mileage improvements. I prefer the side skirts. I have no direct experience with the flow below system.

If you have 1 truck and save an average of say 0.3 mpg with buying 1 system it will save you x per year. Now if you say "a mega should do it cuz they will save millions!" Remember they will only save x × # of units. They still have to buy enough units for all their equipment. If it's $1,500 per year per truck in savings and the system cost $2000 to install all you do is multiply all the numbers out. It makes no difference if it's 1 truck or 50,000. The % are the same. I would go even further to say the independent will see more roi considering he is less likely to damage the fuel saving equipment whereas the big carrier will have a shorter average # of miles before their drivers rip them off.

4. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    feature-flowbelow.jpg
    If you're talking about these.... I can't see more than maybe 1 or 2%. And they look very stupid.

If you really want to save fuel put the cruise on 58 or so. Or drive with your foot and watch the boost gauge like a hawk. It isn't that hard to out drive cruise control.

What kind of work are you doing? 6 mpg may be decent. Unless you're running light on the flat land.

#wishfulthinking and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Not sure, I thought he was talking about those things that look like Fisher price playhouse slides mounted in front of the trailer tandems?

#wishfulthinking and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    That's what I thought at first as well. I think landstar went that route rather than trailer skirts when CARB requested we have 1 or the other.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    if it saves you just .1 mpg then say your doing 2200 miles a week.
    Your getting 6 mpg before the aero stuff. Now your getting 6.1.
    With 2200/6 is 366.6 Gallons at $2.80 i'm paying now is $1026.48
    with 2200/6.1 is 360.6,
    so in one week you saved about 6 gallons of fuel thats about $16.80 a week
    $16.80 times 45 weeks is $756 a year if you did that for 45 weeks.

Based on those numbers that is that with just .1 better.
    I pull a flatbed. I've seen some prime flatbeds with skirts on them. But they could get ripped off in construction sites. I may just try the wheel covers, maybe the aero mudflaps to start.

8. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    What does a bumper have to do with it when it's running something over with your drives, where these are installed? I've hit three animals in the last two weeks. A dog that split my drives, a coyote that hit my landing gear first and something that I don't know what it was wrapped around my fourth compartment 6x4 API. What did all those have in common? None of them hit my steel bumper because they ran under the truck as I went by. And yes I have a steel bumper but thanks for assuming I don't.

As far as the rest of the rant goes I clearly said driver habits will save more fuel mileage. I'm not sure how that story had anything to do with these things that are about overall fuel mileage, but it doesn't change what they do regardless of habits. I don't recall anyone talking about a specific trip that this would have been the difference whether they made it or not. Some drivers would want to save that much money for that cost, some wouldn't. I personally wouldn't, that was what my savings would be theoretically off their numbers.

I like to do the math rather than assume my super trucker skills are the only thing that matter for my business. I am glad to know I just met the most fuel efficient driver that ever existed though...

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

All I know is that steel bumpers have put animals to the side. The handful of times Ive decided to take a animal out dead center with a steel bumper is a clean kill, any truck I have done so without a steel bumper is messy.

You were doing fine until you stated I assumed. I do not assume much these days. All I know is precisely what has happened to me in my unique experiences that does not match yours or anyone else.

I realize that there are many times people would like to pick a post such as this and try to make a federal case out of it. They don't always end well. Keep that in mind.

Pete jockey Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.