Anybody heard of paying USA Truck $200 to "hold your place" at orientation?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by CCCowgirl, Aug 27, 2011.

1. CCCowgirl

CCCowgirl Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Montmorenci, SC
    Have any of you paid to have your place held at orientation to work for a trucking company?

I got a call from Sage School asking me to call a supposed recruiter from USA Truck. I reluctantly did so but I hated the guy - pushy, rude, walked around my questions; even said they paid the highest at 28 cpm. I asked for time to do a bit of research, which he did not like at all. He says "Research? I've told you everything you need to know--NOT! Meanwhile, this guy calls me back 6 times wanting to know if I've made a decision. Oh yeah, I made one right after I looked 'em up on TTR.

Meanwhile....this morning I get a call back from the school informing me that another student had sent $200 via Western Union to this guy to "hold his place" and make sure he showed up for orientation.

Western Union is a huge red flag to me but this thing still leaves me curious - could this possibly have been legitimate? Are they now charging people to attend their orientation?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. llloXolll

llloXolll Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Lake Butler, FL

I would say not ... Western Union has always been the easiest way to scam people out of money.

4. sw6g

sw6g Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Scam probably. Call USA corp office and ask.

5. jlind

jlind Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Nature coast, Fl.
    I would call USA directly and talk to someone there,, ask about Sage recommending a recruiter and maybe even ask for that recruiter too??? Maybe go to one of the USA threads here and ask also.
    If it looks like a SCAM and smells like a SCAM it's probably a SCAM!!!

CCCowgirl Thanks this.
  6. Stevenrk76

Stevenrk76 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Does hell no sum it up for you!

7. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    That is freaking crazy. I would never consider paying any company to get into their orientation. Heck, they should be paying me to show up. I will make them look good.

8. CCCowgirl

CCCowgirl Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Montmorenci, SC
    This "recruiter" was using a cell phone with 615 area code - USA Truck doesn't have a terminal in that area code but when called they said they did have a satellite office and that they had so many recruiters they could not possibly verify if this guy was one of theirs!

Anyway, my sentiments exactly; if it looks like a scam, talks like a scam, etc. it is a scam!

Thanks to all, just wanted to make sure my instincts were still good.

9. Green Machine

Green Machine Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Yeah, the only recruiters USA has are the ones at the main offices in Van Buren, AR and Drivers Solutions in Indianapolis, IN.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.