Anybody here got a 350 Cummins?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Isxrookie, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Isxrookie

Isxrookie Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2011
    New Orleans, la
    You only have 300 horsepower

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    350 BC, 13 speed, 3.73-4.11 gears set for 2350 max rpm. No problem 100k gross with some pump work. Not quick, but not slow. Seen them get 6.5mpg if you drive it like a saint. Dont let it dip below 1750, and you wont have a problem.

4. Isxrookie

Jan 24, 2011
    New Orleans, la
    Pump work you mean the button

singlescrewshaker and jamespmack Thank this.
  5. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    Yep the 1985 day cab does

20200616_201525.jpg

6. Isxrookie

Jan 24, 2011
    New Orleans, la
    That’s the same truck I’m looking in to purchase. I’ll upload a photo

7. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Yes and no. A PT pump is very interesting for a small package. P stands for pressure, T stands for timing. It's all done in the pump. But metering is done at the injectors. It's allways about finding the right combination. What works for one, might not for others. Everyone has different operations. Find a good reputable pump shop and talk to them about your operation. You must have it right. This is a mechanical engine and you can and will melt it down with your right foot. Set gov. To 2350 max. Up fuel psi 15%, split injection line in a Y to the front and rear of head. As possible remove any fitting from tank to pump over 45°. Straight if possible. Large as line as you can feasibly install. But you only adjust a PT pump on a pump machine. No letting idiots monkey with it. It wont be beneficial in a positive.

Good starter kit.

8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I have a big cam 350.

Definitely those rears are too much. I have 390 Rears and it's the right gearing for me.

My advice to you on more horsepower is to turn the pump up 10% and enjoy it. Those engines run fantastically well and are extremely reliable for a long long time if you leave it just about stock.

Going beyond that can lead to a lot of problems.

It is a simple reliable engine. No problem pulling 80,000 pounds.

9. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Everything has been covered here.
    Also different pump codes for factory “custom” ratings and “formula” ratings had different torque rise percentages. This keeps torque climbing up longer and steadier than standard rise and then drop off. That is why sometimes 290’s could out pull 350’s with basically the same timing and setup. The torque rise % is set inside the pump with springs with the “fly weights” and the pump has to be disassembled and broken down in half to get to. Then put on a calibration stand to test it. There were some oldtimer pump men that understood this and could do this very well. I’ve seen a 37 button out pull a 7 because of this. It’s a lost art.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.